Eternal Summer Slacking


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee
December 21st 2006
Published: December 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We live in Lynchburg TN, and are planning a 4(?) month driving trip to Alaska via the Rocky Mountain parks in the western US and Canada in the summer of 2007. We're driving a Dodge 3500 truck mounted with a Lance 10.5 foot slide-in camper.

Advance planning so far has included
-- researching other people's trips and asking MANY questions of those who've been there before
-- making the minimum reservations along the way and in Alaska.
-- upgrading our 2004 truck to accommodate the camper.
-- outfitting the camper with equipment and supplies.
-- trying to figure out what we want to do when we get there. We would have to pull a 20-foot trailer to take kayaks, canoes, bikes, Shredder raft, salt- and fresh-water fishing rods, etc....

A key to our schedule is getting reservations for camping at Denali. We have made camping reservations in the Denali Teklanika campground (they start accepting reservations on 1 Dec). We've also made reservations for a trip to Prudhoe Bay, some fishing trips, and one stay at a military resort on the Kenai Peninsula. All these reservations are in the first two months -- after that, we'll have no firm plans. Right now, we figure it will take us about two months to get to Denali, so it will be the midpoint of our trip.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb