Graceland - Memphis Tennessee


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
June 8th 2012
Published: June 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from Memphis. We arrived yesterday at the Graceland RV Resort which is located "down at the end of lonely steet" behind the Heartbreak Hotel. SERIOUSLY!! This morning we took a tour of Graceland which is just across the street from the campgrounds. Graceland was built in 1939 and purchased by Elvis in 1957 for $100,000. The second floor of graceland was Elvis' private area of the home and has never been part of the public tour. This is done out of respect to Elvis, who shared the rest of Graceland with anyone who came to visit. There is a downstairs bedroom which was used by Elvis' mom and dad. Sally thinks that the most gaudy room in the house is the pool room. There is from 350 to 400 yards of bright fabric covering both the walls as well as the ceiling. My favorite room was the jungle room. There is a block wall at one end of the room with a small waterfall. The furniture is hand carved wood and looks Polynesian. The furniture is covered in faux fur. Both the floor and ceiling are covered with green carpeting. We toured Elvis' auto museum and saw the pink cadillac the he purchased for his mother. We also toured Elvis' plane, the Lisa Marie. Elvis realized one day that Lisa Marie had never seen snow before so he loaded the family on the Lisa Marie and flew to Denver. After several hours in the snow they flew back to Memphis. Enjoy the pictures. Tomorrow it's on to Nashville where I will be visiting with two of my sisters for several days. Monday morning we leave Nashville and head for Maine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb