The road to Graceland


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
December 22nd 2007
Published: December 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving the Grand Canyon Jason and I had a lovely days rest with Rio in Albuquerque. You can't go wrong with home cooked Mexican food and movie nights. We visited Santa Fe during the day and I fell in love with several pairs of handmade cowboy boots in a shop called Back at the Ranch (check out the gorgeous kicks at www.backattheranch.com). I want a pair so bad! They are all hand made and take about 4 months to create. How can you say no to pig skin and elephant heels? However, the $1,400 - $3,500 average price tag makes my teeth hurt. The craftsmanship of these boots are spectacular. I have to start saving!

After leaving Rio on the 21st we headed straight through to Memphis Tennessee. Riding through Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas in a 12 hour trip was easier than I thought. The weather was good and the land was pretty much flat. I was sad to not have more time to explore southern or central Texas. We only drove through the northern Texas panhandle. The only picture I took in Texas was the the "Largest Cross in the Western Hemisphere". Fitting for Texas. Everything has to be big.

Our goal was to get as close to Graceland as we could. We arrived close to Tennessee around 2 a.m. and decided to call it a night just outside Memphis in Arkansas. Arriving at Graceland the retro decor was left as Elvis left it- gaudy. Complete with shag carpet, drab/heavy fabrics, and mirrors on the ceiling. It was wonderful.


Next stop before home .... DOLLYWOOD!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb