It is grand


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Williams
December 18th 2007
Published: December 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We finally made it out of California and headed straight for the Grand Canyon. We arrived in the evening just 50 miles south and stayed in a small town in Arizona called Williams. The two lane downtown was full of Christmas lights and Route 66 memorabilia. It was a charming welcome and refreshing to be in a small community. A place where you can tell the locals from the travelers. The only restaurant opened, Cruisers Cafe 66, boasted about the local brew of amber ale. I was satisfied. Many of the dinners arrived in pj's. During our two day stay most of the business remained closed. I hoped it was because of the low tourist season.

In the late morning we headed up to the canyon. You should know that I am terrified of heights. But the experience of Grand Canyon was not to be missed. Jason, being the thrill seeker, dared to walk off the path and along the edges. I was a nervous wreck most of the time. We wanted to go on a mule ride down the canyon, but at 175 a pop, we decided it was not the best idea when on a budget. After an hour I was over my initial nervousness and I got closer to the edges without the barriers. It was a personal triumph.

After 4 hours we headed back to Williams to get our last bite to eat at Rod's Steak House. A quick steak dinner later, we finished our evening with an after dinner drink at Sultana's Bar- the self proclaimed "world famous bar". Jason jumped on the change to knock back a few on the rocks and urged me into a few games of pool. It was a good time.

Next stop Albuquerque New Mexico to visit a friend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb