Graceland, Beale Street and The Peabody


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
September 6th 2005
Published: September 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Graceland EntranceGraceland EntranceGraceland Entrance

This is where the shuttle bus drops you off to start the tour of the house and grounds.
Today was a beautiful day in Memphis.....high 80's with clear, sunny skies. Our plan today was to see Graceland in the morning and then spend the afternoon on Beale Street. With only 1 slight navigational error....we were completely successful.

GRACELAND
Kim and I enjoyed our visit to Graceland. We arrived early in the morning and we were among the only people in the whole place. We especially liked the house tour because everyone gets their own audio player with a headset so you can control the pace of the tour. You can pretty much wander around the house. We were allowed to take unlimited photos all throughout the house. Kim and I both remarked how 'small' everything seemed....the rooms in the house were of normal proportions and not what we expected.....I guess we imagined a big colossol mansion. It was quite touching to realize you're walking around his home which contained some of his prized possessions.

The backyard was so peaceful and quiet....you'd hardly know that you are surrounded by other houses, businesses and busy street. I closed my eyes and it was just like being in the country.

We mailed a couple postcards and there is a
Interior of Blues City CafeInterior of Blues City CafeInterior of Blues City Cafe

This is where we ate lunch. This cafe is located on Beale Street in downtown Memphis.
special US Post Office there so they will be postmarked Graceland.

BEALE STREET
We wandered around Beale Street and had lunch at Blues City Cafe. Their BBQ ribs are quite famous so we tried them for ourselves.....we give them 2 thumbs up. What a great place....the atmosphere is neat. Blues music playing in the background and facing Beale Street watching the tourists go by.

We did the usual tourist stuff....took too many photos, spent too much money on postcards and just soaked up the ambience of being on vacation.

PEABODY HOTEL LOBBY
We'd heard so much about the Peabody Hotel Lobby and the ducks....so we decided to check it out. First of all...the hotel lobby is ornate, grand and beautiful. Marble columns, dark wood accents, stained glass ceiling and a water fountain. The Peabody ducks were splish-splashing in the fountain oblivious to the funny tourists snapping their picture.

Kim and I were pretty tired by now....we'd been on our feet since 9:00am and it was now 2:00pm so we decided to have a drink at the hotel bar in the lobby. There were plenty of tables next to the fountain so we thought we could keep
Beale Street & BB King's ClubBeale Street & BB King's ClubBeale Street & BB King's Club

This is the view from the sidewalk looking up Beale Street towards BB King's Club.
the ducks company. We ordered 2 strawberry daiquiris and relaxed.

After we finished our drinks.....we went over to Peabody Place which is a enclosed shopping and dining complex. A bit more shopping and then we decided to call it a day.


Tomorrow we will probably go back to Beale Street so Kim can see BB King's place. We also are planning on seeing the Civil Rights Museum and possibly Sun Studios.

Stay tuned for more.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Rum Boogie CafeRum Boogie Cafe
Rum Boogie Cafe

This looks like a lively place. Anybody wanna sample some Gator Gumbo?
Peabody Ducks and FountainPeabody Ducks and Fountain
Peabody Ducks and Fountain

The ducks are hard to see...but trust me...they are the brown blobs next to the cherubs. This is the fountain the the Peabody Hotel Lobby.


8th September 2005

I will let Jeff know that you visited the ducks!!

Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb