Memphis - Beale Street and Graceland


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
April 1st 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our Memphis location is at the Tom Sawyer RV Park, on the Arkansas side of the Mississippi River across from Memphis. Our campsite is literally on the banks of the well-nick named 'Big Muddy." It's both! There is considerable commercial shipping traffic. The Park's promo is right on - we are 10 minutes from Downtown Memphis and Beale Street. Beale St. is like an on-going festival area and is closed to traffic. The atmosphere, music, food, people watching, and plain old fun exceeded expectations. On our first Beale St. night, we sampled three groups - two at clubs (one with no cover charge) and one in a pubic park. We could hardly believe how many people had gathered on a Monday night - WOW what is this place like on the weekend. Dinner (ribs, chicken, catfish and fixin's) at BB Kings and a great seven piece band. Earlier a quartet got us going at WC Handy Park and then we heard a trio (the lead had a wonderful range - great Roy Orbeson sound - wonderful Johnny Cash sound - and great stories about a musician's life in Memphis) at The Music Store. The next day, after seeing "Elvis" at Graceland, we went back for more music (with Louisiana Mojo Queen Ms. Zeno) in the Courtyard at Silky O'Sullivan's and lunch (Fantastic Ribs for Wes and a Mufalato for me) on the sidewalk at Superior.

Graceland was fine - predictably gaudy, but the heart and soul generosity of Elvis shined through. He was a regular guy - Lisa Marie's swing set looked just like the one we had in our back yard in the 70s. The audio tour was informative, interesting, and very easy to use. A nice touch was the inclusion of many of Elvis's songs in the background of the narration. My favorite part of the Graceland tour would be the costumes (especially the later life embellished suits with capes). We both loved Elvis's extraordinary automobile collection. A BIG surprise was a couple, a preacher, a witness, and a videographer spied from the shuttle just outside the Graceland Gates. A wedding in progress!

On this leg of our RV trip from Florida home, we touched on four states within 24 hours. Alabama was a beautiful surprise; rural, spring-like; lush. Crossing into Mississippi, we found gracious southern hospitality at the really handsome visitors' center. There were azaleas in bloom and ladies offered us free soft drinks along with the brochures. We exited from Route 78 at the charming village of Holly Springs, Miss. It reminded us of our own town, Mechanicville, NY, back in the 1950's. We had lunch on the village square at Grandma Walnuts' Eatery. It's lovely to find small towns and places where the local residents gather. Two ladies inquired about where we were from and suggested we come back in May for the tours of ante-bellum homes and gardens. They also suggested their Holly Springs Historical Society Mueseum, "crammed with Confederate artifacts." Wish we had time; but ever onward to Memphis, Tennesee. We cross the Tennesee/Arkansas line on the middle of a bridge crossing the Mississippi River. On Wednesday it's on to Nashville.
P.S. How nice that PBS has followed us on our travels - everywhere we go we tinker from 90.3 and find our news, talk, and music.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

RV on the Town SquareRV on the Town Square
RV on the Town Square

The big challenge in exploring a little town like Holly Springs - which takes you back to the 50's - is parking the 34 ft. Schooner.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb