House Mountain and Seven Islands State Parks


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Knoxville
March 18th 2021
Published: March 19th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Today started with a cloudy cool day. We took a short drive and began the day with a trip to Hammer's in Clinton to see if we could find any shopping deals. We had a quick lunch and then it was out to do some more hiking. We headed to House Mountain Wildlife Area. This was the park recommended by our waiter last night. It was his favorite park when he was a kid. The trail starts at the base of the mountain. It is a standalone outcropping just east of Knoxville. The trail was rocky and had water flowing in places from all the rain yesterday and overnight. We hiked up the west trail that was rocky and steep in places. Leo led the way up the trail. At the top there was a view to the west towards Knoxville. We then headed across the ridge top trail. This trail was rocky in places and essentially level trail. We then got to the east end and headed down the trail. This trail was not quite as steep as the trail up. We again encountered areas where the water was flowing down the mountain on the trail. Most of the water was only about 1-2 inches deeps so no issues other than the slippery trail and rocks were a challenge. We headed just south to the Seven Islands State park. It is a birding park with a main paved trail. The trail has wetlands on either side that were loaded with very loud frogs. We had never heard so many frogs. I am not sure what they were saying, but as soon as they saw us and Leo they were silent. We walked out to bridge and looked at some of the birds that were visible. We didn't see too much other than some ducks and geese, but we did not stay very long. We headed back to the parking lot and then Sriracha headed to an area just off the parking lot to find a Geocache. It was an easy cache to find. We headed back to our Knoxville headquarters for a relaxing dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Seven Islands State Park Seven Islands State Park
Seven Islands State Park

Pedro, Kasie, Sriracha and Leo


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb