Chattanooga Choo Choo


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Chattanooga
January 28th 2023
Published: January 29th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Nashville TN – Chattanooga TN

Racoon Mountain Caverns & Campground

Days 34 -36



First an update to our last blog. I did our blog about Nashville the night before we left, when we woke up it was snowing. We really had hoped to make it through the winter without seeing snow. The snow was really a non-event , by the time we pulled out of the campground the ground was clear.



We had hoped to make an uneventful trip to Chattanooga, but no such luck. It should have taken us about two and a half hours to get to go from Nashville to Chattanooga. About half way into the trip, the GPS went from 90 minutes remaining to four plus hours remaining. At the same time Mark & Karen (Who were in front of us), called and said there was bad traffic ahead, they were getting off at the next exit, about 1.5 miles ahead of us. It took about 45 minutes to travel that short distance. The traffic was so bad, Angel was able to take over in the driver’s seat so I could go to the bathroom. After we got off of I24 we were able to work our way around the traffic jam



Our destination Raccoon Mountain Caverns & Campground is a very nice campground. The sites are spaced out and well maintained. On Friday we went on the cavern tour. We have been to a few other cavern tours, and so far this one was the best. Tristin was a great guide, he was both knowable and enthusiastic. He did try to talk us into doing the “Wild Cavern Tour” but he had no luck. The Wild Cavern Tour takes you deeper into the cavern, but it requires you to crawl through several sections and wiggle trough some sections on your belly. None of us were up to that challenge.



Friday night we headed into town to check out the historic Chattanooga Choo Choo. The Chattanooga Choo Choo is located at the original train terminal that has been converted into an entertainment complex. The original train is still there and some of the Pullman cars have been converted into hotel rooms. There are also restaurants, shops and a distillery in the complex.



Saturday we spent the day at the Chattanooga Zoo. It is a fairly small zoo, but there is a wide variety of animals there. My two favorites are the giraffes and orangutans.



We finished our stay in Chattanooga with a campfire, and dinner at the RV’s.



Our next stop is Stone Mountain GA.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



29th January 2023

Scott, just bought a custom van which I will be converting to mini camper. Should be fun. Looks like you guys are enjoying the trip so far.
6th February 2023

Cool!
Larry that is so cool. You will love it. It is almost as fun as traveling by boat. The big advantage is you don't have to worry about wind and current when you are parking!
29th January 2023

Home & Home
I don’t know how or why NewsBreak suggested you blog for me to read, but I LOVE that I live in Clearwater FL and know all the places you talk abt, including Robert’s RV park, and I’m from near Chattanooga TN, where you ran into the mad traffic jam. It’s common there. I have been to Raccoon Mtn RC park many times. And, my husband and I just recently retired from RV service. We owned our own company and had a mobile rv repair service. Small world!
6th February 2023

Glad You are Enjoying
Tammy, I am glad you are enjoying our blog. We are heading back to NJ (I hesitate to say home, as we live in the RV and a boat so home is where we are). Hopefully you will follow us as we travel to Canada by boat this summer.

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb