Best Day Yet


Advertisement
Published: July 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
About half way through South Dakota we had already planned to blog about the view of what we like to call "the desktop" (blue skies and green grass) and of course our favorite, corn, however, this day soon became our favorite yet! We did pass a live action news van on the side of the road and realized a car was wrecked in the middle of the corn. We met a new friend, Cornelius, and toured his home The Corn Palace. I mean when all you have is corn around your creativity sets in as you use the corn for artwork. As we viewed the corn murals, we ate delicious ears of corn! "Don't worry mom, I asked a stranger to take our picture and the woman was from North Carolina!" Love Ashley! Fern decided to be cute and wear a Carolina Tree Huggers t-shirt (blah, sorry I just threw up a little in my mouth writing that) since I had on my ECU t-shirt. A woman in the palace stopped us and started raving about Tyler Hansbrough and how everything in their house is UNC, due to a very sick feeling coming over me I had to walk away!

After the view of desktops and corn, we might have been a little delirious, but we promise we stumbled across the most impressive dirt mounds you have ever seen! It was like we were playing honey I shrunk the skittle inside a kid’s sandbox! We entered "The Badlands" and could not believe our eyes at the incredible view. I guarantee that you have never seen such a sight, its like being on the moon, or some other planet. Flip flops and all we explored the peaks, valleys, and buttes of the Badlands. Words cannot describe the unique landscape, but at least the pictures give you a glance into our incredible experience. From there we stopped at Wall Drugs, the world’s largest drugstore, or tourist trap. Signs were miles out, but they are not near as cool as South of the Border signs (I mean there’s no “I never sausage a place!). Fern had a 5 cent cup of coffee and let’s just say she got what she paid for! We tried a buffalo burger with our free ice water (that’s how the store began attracting customers)! We took a few hilarious photo ops, completed our scavenger hunt mission, added a bumper sticker to the Skittle and were on our way!

Still in awe of the Badlands, our eyes gazed upon another miraculous landmark, Mount Rushmore. If you ever go or did not attend the evening program you must go or go back (Thanks, Clarke for letting us know!) The evening program included a history of Mount Rushmore and background on why each president was chosen as they slowly lit up the President’s heads! It’s amazing to see such massive sculptures carved out of a mountain, but the most incredible part was the patriotism that surrounded them! As the national anthem played, soldiers both active and retired were invited to stand on the stage and say their name and branch of US military. It was incredible how many soldiers were there or representing family members and we were truly proud to be Americans!

As Crazy Horse Memorial was about to close, we snuck in the gate and took a quick photo. However, this monument has been a work in progress for over 50 years and you can barely see the head, much less the horse. We crossed the state line into Wyoming, but had no idea what kind of terrain surrounded us until the morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Eating CornEating Corn
Eating Corn

Ashley prefers her corn knee high by the fourth of July. Fern prefers her corn as high as an elephant's eye on the fourth of July!
The BadlandsThe Badlands
The Badlands

no we are not on the moon!


16th July 2009

Hey, did you happen to see any corn?
Holy corn! I'm all for corny jokes, but I have to admit, I was done with them by the time I got to the fourth picture caption. Also, So Ashley will eat corn on the cob, but not meat on the bone?
16th July 2009

Gillette?
So, I am a little disappointed about not reading anything about Gillette, Wyoming. However, my disappointment was quickly replaced by Ashley's account of the woman raving about UNC and Hansbrough and her use of the word "blah". I imagine that a 5 cent cup of coffee would not taste anything like Starbucks. Your friend, Cornelious, has nice kernels. Keep the awesome pics and posts going! ,
16th July 2009

next faces
Make sure if those are the next faces that only the ECU/PIRATES shows on the chest!! (Oh, Fern, I never doubted you would protect Ashley, now the means of protection might want to change!! The pics are great and the service sounded awesome! Go Clarke!! Once in awhile he does have a great idea!!
17th July 2009

Erin in her Glory
corn corn and more kern. I can't imagine how you contained yourself!
19th July 2009

Oz?.....
Follow the Yellow Corn road???

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb