The Prairie and the Badlands


Advertisement
Published: January 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Little Barn on the PrairieLittle Barn on the PrairieLittle Barn on the Prairie

In DeSmet, South Dakota at the Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Site.
Don't worry we aren't stuck in some kind of "TIME TRAVEL WARP"...we really do know it's almost January 2007... sorry, it just took a little while to catch up on the latest travel blogs. So where-ever you are (maybe in the cold of winter) just sit back, snuggle up and pretend it's summer again.

After a long drive to Iowa from Tennessee we finally arrived for a warm and sunny visit with "A's" parents. As an added bonus we had a wonderful visit with Linda and the girls. Then on to South Dakota. We visited Sioux Falls and drove to the little town of DeSmet. Mom enjoyed seeing all the Little House on The Prairie places. It's always been one of her favorite TV shows. Okay maybe the teeage girls weren't as thrilled about it...but someday they'll thank her for taking them....WON'T THEY??

Next we saw the Badlands. It kind of looks like the surface of the moon out there. Hard to understand how someplace so bare and dry can also be such a palce of beauty. The lights and colors of the landscape change with every minute of the day!

Next blog we will visit the Devils
White Prairie DogWhite Prairie DogWhite Prairie Dog

This cute little guy was at "The Homestead" near the entrance to the Badlands
Tower and Mount Rushmore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The Corn PalaceThe Corn Palace
The Corn Palace

In Mitchell SD is completely covered with corn. A little weird but really interesting!
Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum
Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum

DeSmet, South Dakota, where you can tour the house Pa Ingall's Built. The Ingall's family lived in DeSmet from 1879-1894.
Peek a BooPeek a Boo
Peek a Boo

One of the cottonwood trees Charles Ingall's planted.
Ingall's Family GravesiteIngall's Family Gravesite
Ingall's Family Gravesite

Charles,Caroline Mary Carrie and Grace are buried in DeSmet, South Dakota.
The BadlandsThe Badlands
The Badlands

The sign in the foreground is a warning about rattlesnakes.


17th March 2009

poor
laura lived till she was 90 years of age in lauras ma book

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 81; dbt: 0.084s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb