Artsy Sioux Falls


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Who knew you could see Michelangelo's David in Sioux Falls, SD??? Well, you can! According to the city, Sioux Falls is one of only 2 places in the world with full size reproductions of the statue of David by Michelangelo (in doing some research, it appears there may be others in other forms, like plaster, etc.). The replica is located in Fawick Park in Sioux Falls courtesy of a donation by its owners. According to some literature, there was a bit of a controvery with putting the nude David in such an "exposed" area because it could lead to a lowering of moral values in Sioux Falls. Luckily, smarter heads prevailed and the wonderful statue was placed in the downtown park, although done "tastefully" so that he is not visible by passing traffic and trees cover up some of his strategic spots from those on the streets.

Also located throughout the downtown are numerous sculptures/statues which have been donated to or commissioned by the city. Just wonderful. I've loaded up pictures of just a few of them. If I would have had more time, I would have waundered the downtown streets looking at as many as I could.

Also drove up to see St. Joseph's Cathedral located on a hill in the historic district of Sioux Falls. Towering cathedral whose peaks are visible throughout most of the city. It was hard to get a good picture of it because of the trees.

Next time I'm back in the area, am going to try to see a little bit more. Sioux Falls seems to have a very strong art presence in the city. Very surprising for a city of its size in the midwest. The city has done a great job incorporating and promoting its historical past, while including new age art of various designs and types with tree lined streets and parks throughout the city including the downtown. Definitely worth some more looks next time I'm in the area.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Little Girl in the RainLittle Girl in the Rain
Little Girl in the Rain

There's also a statue of a little boy as well.


25th June 2007

Interesting
I like the variety among the art on distplay
4th July 2007

Agree
Yes, there is great variety in style and type. Lots and lots of sculptures and statues. From classic to abstract. Visit their web site at: http://www.sculpturewalksiouxfalls.com/

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb