Sioux Falls' Falls Park


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lower FallsLower FallsLower Falls

Close Up
Each time I visit Sioux Falls, SD, I am more and more impressed. For midwest standards, it's a fairly large community of 148,000 not counting nearby towns. It has a wonderful downtown which has great urban planning containing parks, tree lined streets, and art which is kind of unusual given the dying off of most midwest downtowns. There are several statues/sculptures throughout the downtown area with historical markers all over. Unlike so many midwest downtowns, it's an attraction that draws people to it rather than the outer parts of town where the retail is.

On my first evening in Sioux Falls, I decided to finally visit Falls Park which I had heard so much about. Very, very impressive. I do love waterfalls. Sioux Falls has some great waterfalls with booming sounds of water located in an tranquil park setting. The Park is very good size with bike and walking paths, lots of green space for picnics, a cafe, observation tour and arts center. All mixed in among the river, water falls and lots of exposed pink quartzite. Very pretty and extremely relaxing.

There are a couple statues as well...Monarch of the Plains, which represents the Dakotan bison. It was
A Little IslandA Little IslandA Little Island

An island of pink quartzite in the Big Sioux River just a little ways downstream from the Falls.
sculpted from South Dakota granite. Another statue is of the American Farmer.

At 9:30 in the evening, they also had a small light and laser show which gave the history of Sioux Falls. It was a beautiful evening and very pleasant to listen to the history over the roar of the falls. Lots of people were there enjoying a nice evening in the park.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Monarch of the PlainsMonarch of the Plains
Monarch of the Plains

There are a few different statues located near the falls and in the park.
Light Show at NightLight Show at Night
Light Show at Night

They hold a light and laser show each night at the Park.
Upper FallsUpper Falls
Upper Falls

The Upper Falls are at the upper top of the photo. Shows how long the series of falls are because there's more below.


25th June 2007

laser show!
NOw that is cool...the whole series of falls is very pretty as well. PS night pics turned out very cool.

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 105; dbt: 0.1282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb