South Dakota (cont'd)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota » Huron
April 28th 2011
Published: May 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Long roads. Billboards for “Wall Drug.” We had heard about this famous sight so had to make a stop. This mid-prairie tourist stop was a fun excursion. Just outside of the badlands, they are known for making their mark on the map by offering free ice water in the 1930s. We enjoyed their ice water, as well as lunch in their cafe (coffee is still 5 cents), pictures on their giant jackalope, and faux mid-west storefronts.

South Dakota's state bird is the Chinese Ring-Necked Pheasant. These beautiful birds were abundant along the grassy sides of the highway. We had fun watching for them as we drove along. Our car sounded something like this: “Look, a pheasant! …ooh, pheasant!...another pheasant!” That went on until the pheasants further along decided to stroll across the road. Going 75 mph makes it hard to get out of their way, so the first one, well let's just say there wasn't much left of him. Not much later a lady-pheasant jay walked and she was a goner too. After those traumatic incidents our car sounded more like: “AAAH! Pheasant! ...AAAH! Pheasant.” Not only that, but when we made our next pit stop, the boys discovered that the female's remains were still under the car and had to remove her with a squeegy! AAAH! “Dear South Dakota, we regret to say that we killed your state bird. Sincerely, the Eberz 5”

The remainder of our time in SD was much more positive. We had a wonderful overnight visit with friends who had previously pastored in our church in VA. They introduced us to their new church family, their new home, and their in-town giant statue of their state bird (didn't forget, did you?) Pheasant! Their hospitality, flexibility, and love for the Lord and the people around them was a great encouragement.

It was during this time that news reports told of much destruction in the southeast by tornadoes. We pray for these families. In this area weather is also taking its toll with much flooding. As we drove out of SD and entered Minnesota many farm fields were now fields of water making waves that lapped the sides of the road.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb