Happy Trails...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota » Badlands
August 11th 2008
Published: August 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We traveled 545 miles today from La Crosse, Wisconsin over the Mississippi River, into the southern part of Minnesota, over the Missouri River, over into Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and finally ended up in the small town of Kadoka, SD near the Badlands for the evening. There really wasn't much to see after the Mississippi River in southern Minnesota. I would like to explore the lakes and Minneapolis when I have more time as there was a lot of advertisements and much more to see in those areas.

We stopped in Sioux Falls to see the water falls and mill that surrounds it and to grab a bite to eat. I was surprised to find a Turkey pesto panini sandwich on the menu at the falls cafeteria. Very delicious! The falls were very pretty so we took a few photos and got back in the car.

Before finally arriving in Kadoka, we found a ghost town just east of the Badlands. It is called the "1880's Town" and it houses many different "Old West" buildings that have been moved here from the midwest region. On display were hotels, banks, a real working saloon, post offices, school building and even the set for Dances with Wolves which was shot on location in South Dakota in the Badlands itself. A storm was brewing, so we walked quickly through the town. (See the movie at http://animoto.com/play/TGcdftVTB9AOBr1LvJKf0g?autostart=false) We bellied up to the saloon for an old fashioned cream soda and an old sarsaparilla. Very good!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Corn Palace Mitchell, South DakotaCorn Palace Mitchell, South Dakota
Corn Palace Mitchell, South Dakota

The entire place had murals and pictures made of corn and bi-products of corn.


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.126s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb