The Badlands


Advertisement
Published: August 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


blog 08-23-17 Badlands, SD

We were a little slow getting started this morning because we didn't have as far to travel, or so we thought. The morning was beautiful with clear skies and high 60s temp so the dogs were eager to get out and smell the new smells. We met 2 fellows from Harrisburg who had been in CO for the eclipse so we had to talk about our experiences and share our excitement and hear about theirs. What an event to share so many miles apart.

We filled the camper storage tank with water because the next campground had no water hookup. Dumped the waste storage tanks, unhooked the electric and finally headed west about 10:30. There was a stop at Walmart and gas fillup and we were finally really on our way. We kept seeing signs for the Lakota Sioux museum so we decided it had to be a stop. We hadn't played tourist at all so it was about time. We drove on interstate 90 W for about 1 1/2 hrs and came to Cambridge, SD where the museum was located. There was a spot to park but it was hot out so we turned on the generator to run the AC for the dogs.

The museum was small but had some really interesting pieces of Sioux clothing with intricate and delicate bead work, paintings by local artists, a birch bark canoe, some bison hides with picture stories and a little about life in the family. The children were not disaplined in a negative way and not given chores, they would start doing things for the family on their own and then were praised and encouraged. A boy got his first bow and arrow at the age of 4. The girls had little teepees that they could assemble and toy village pieces to arrange as they wanted.

We each contrubuted to the local economy, Ginnie buying a ring and I got a pair of errings. By then it was time to get back on the road and find a place for lunch. There was a rest stop just up the road so we headed there and found a beautiful vista of the entire valley. The Missouri River runs through the valley and a series of dams were built for recreation and reservoirs making for a beautiful sight. At the top of this hill there was a terrific breeze so we opened the windows in the camper and had a delightful lunch.

A short walk after lunch took us to the overlook with a huge statue of Sakagawea. Pictures. The Corp of Discovery was at this very spot in 1801 to observe the valley as they headed west and north on the Missouri. Fun walking in their footsteps.

Finally on the road again we passed some fields of corn and soybeans but mostly pasture now. There were black and white cows and some herferd and few horses grazing here and there. Old abandoned farms made you wonder what their story was and what happened to the people that built them. We saw yellow fields in the distance and when we got close realized they were fields of sunflowers. Huge fields with happy little faces of sunshine all looking at us.

We passed the mountain time zone line and gained an hour which we surely needed to make it to the campground before they closed. We checked through the park entrance, got our map and instructions about dogs in the park, and found the campground. We unhooked the car and proceeded to our site.What a strange campground this is. You just pull off the road at your number and parallel park right there. There is a picnic table with a shade cover and an electric box for hookup but that's it... I'll take pictures tomorrow.

It was blazing hot, 95, and we couldn't get settled fast enough and get the ac cranked up.

Ginnie and I had happy hour in the shade of the motorhome (George) and with the aid of a delightful breeze we were quite comfortable. We had set up the fence for the dogs so they were enjoying their freedom roaming around then settling down to rest after the trip. We snapped a few pictures and marveled at how different the same peak looked with the setting sun.

Speaking of which, the sunset was very pretty with the sun litteraly looking like a fire ball as it dissappeared behind the hills.

Great day a beautiful night, and we are looking forward to exploring tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb