Beaufort


Advertisement
Published: September 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Fire in the Hole!Fire in the Hole!Fire in the Hole!

Jen sitting on a cannon from the Civil War in Beaufort, SC.
Our next stop north is Beaufort, South Carolina. This is a charming town with lots of history. During the Civil War, the North was going to invade and destroy the town. Fortunately the people of Beaufort knew that the Union troops were coming, so they fled. Because the town was abandoned when the troop arrived, they didn’t destroy the buildings and that is why today there are more antebellum homes in Beaufort than any other county in South Carolina. The result is a picturesque town with giant antebellum homes overlooking the river banks. It proved to be a fun place to stop and explore.

One of our favorite things we did there was a free walking tour around town. This is where we learned the history of Beaufort and got to admire all the beautiful homes. We also learned that many movies have been filmed in town, including Forest Gump, The Big Chill, and The Prince of Tides to name a few. So we got to see the sights such as the Baptist Church that Forest Gump went to when he first started the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company and the house that Robert Redford lived in The Prince of Tides.
MarshlandMarshlandMarshland

Boats anchored at Beaufort.
Very cool, for movie buffs.

Besides that, we just enjoyed the many great restaurants and pubs in town. We had one of the best meals that we have ever had at Emily’s, a quaint tapas restaurant with live jazz. And our favorite watering hole was Hemmingway’s right on the waterfront. We went there many nights and listened to some great live music.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Antebellum HomeAntebellum Home
Antebellum Home

One of the many beautiful, historic antebellum homes in Beaufort.
Prince of TidesPrince of Tides
Prince of Tides

The house that Robert Redford lived in the movie The Prince of Tides.
Forest GumpForest Gump
Forest Gump

The Baptist Church that Forest Gump went to when he first started the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company.
HemmingwaysHemmingways
Hemmingways

The outside patio of Hemmingways, the local bar with great live music.
BatteryBattery
Battery

The Battery in Beaufort, which is a museum of Civil War memorabilia today.


29th September 2006

Love you!
Miss you too. Gald you are exploring and having this wonderful adventurous life.
29th September 2006

Enjoyed the pics and the history lesson. Keep on having fun!!! My love to you both.
30th September 2006

Long time no hear! Glad you are safe and well and still having a great time.
3rd October 2006

Oct 2, 2006
Hi, Just noticed you have not written in awhile.Keep writing those lovley logs.How is life in the East?Inquiring minds want to know.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb