Days 48 and 49


Advertisement
Published: November 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

October 30 and 31, 2009
Today was a loooong travel day. We left our wonderful hotel in Destin and started out for Jekyll Island, Georgia. We had reservations there so that was our goal. It turned out that we had bitten off more than we could chew!!! It was quite a distance and we probably left later than we should have. Again, on this ride, the time changed…honestly…Donna and I who have such a tenuous grip on reality on a good day, cannot for a minute keep track of who, what, where, when or how!!! Not much excitement to report on the way. John did start a lecture on another bird that he saw…again pulled right out of his you know what…but our eyes glazed over and he stopped talking! Because it was so late (and dark) when we got to our hotel, we went right to dinner and to bed.
The next morning we got up and left for St. Simon’s Island which is quite close to Jekyll. Donna and John have many wonderful memories of that island…Bill and I have some also…mostly we thought about our friend Tom and the fun and adventures we had with him…miss you Tom.
As we drove around the island we reminisced about the trip we took many years ago to St Simons with our kids. Lizzy and Molly were about 8 and 10 months old. Meredith, Billy Joseph and Tim ranged in ages from 4-10. What the hell were we thinking…and we DROVE!!! 2 weeks and we all stayed in a big yellow house…it was fun…kinda!!! Lizzy screamed a lot of the time, Joseph and Tim were at each other’s throats…(It’s my gun, no it’s mine. It’s my sword, no it’s mine. It’s my whip, no it’s mine…you get the picture of how alike they were and exactly what kind of toys they preferred!!!) And, as usual, Billy and Meredith were angels. Molly with her little bird legs and arms just kept staring at us all as if to say, “these people are nuts”!
Anyway…today we headed for Hilton Head where we met Marie and Steve checked into the Westin…it is marvelous and we will be here for a week with them and already Steve has made the blog. On one of my travel adventures, I bought and sent Steve this little gizmo that has several functions…I couldn’t resist because Steve LOVES gadgets like that….ask him about his Russian Swiss Army Knife. Anyway when we got to the Westin Marie and Steve were there to greet us and guess what Steve had around his neck…the gizmo I had sent him. He immediately began a lecture on all of its potential…the flashlight, the microscope, the mirror…and if anyone needs a compass…but perhaps the best feature and the most endearing, is the WHISTLE!!!! “Okay” Steve says. “If I need you I’ll whistle twice” (this followed by a demonstration) “And if someone’s in trouble whistle like this”…someone’s in trouble all right!!!! So we are looking forward to many more happy discussions about this little device that can do just about anything….except make someone stop talking about it!!! We had cocktail hour and then we had a light dinner here at the restaurant…and went to bed!
Today’s Road Lesson: Do not under any circumstances give Steve a gadget and if you do, do not ask him about it!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb