Palm Key and Lowcountry of South Carolina


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we arrived in beautiful Palm Key. This place is magical and so peaceful looking out at the wetlands and islands of South Carolina, with huge majestic oaks and Spanish Moss everywhere. We have a spectacular view from the deck of our gorgeous private rental home. There’s even a few resident alligators in the pond. Last night we saw a tiny baby raccoon that could not even walk yet it was so little.

The owners here are multi talented folks and cooked us a fabulous dinner after we went crabbing to collect the daily catch from the crab pots. We steamed them right up---cannot get any fresher than that! Everyone kayaks here to see the dolphins, egrets and other wildlife right from the very cottages and homes when it is high tide---it’s a sight to see.

Today we took a spectacular tour of the South Carolina Lowcountry---all marshes and beaches and islands of South Carolina. We ate lunch in Beaufort, SC at a wonderful restaurant called Panini Café---which had the best Panini and fabulous Pasta salad with a creamy mustardy-sweet dressing…delicious! We visited the Lighthouse at Hunting Island State Park, the Beaufort waterfront, the Old Sheldon Church ruins from 1745, Chapel of Ease from 1740, several beaches and plantations, and the grave of Thomas Heyward, Jr. who signed the Declaration of Independence. The history and the beauty here are unique and captivating. What a wonderful place, so peaceful, so breathtakingly pretty...I could say so much more but need to go enjoy my last few hours here...


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.22s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb