If You Visit Conanicut Marine in Jamestown RI


Advertisement
Published: August 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

As noted in my main August 5 blog, this is a Perfect Cruising Port. The moorings are in a wide open bay and occasionally get a little rolly. But the people in charge of the moorings seem to make a special effort to keep a few of the innermost moorings available for visitors ... unlike some other places we visit! So we have always been comfortable here. If you are willing to spend the money, they usually have dock-space available but it is advisable to call ahead if you want this. For moorings, we simply call them as we approach.

There are at least half a dozen restaurants on the main street (Naragansett Avenue), including our two favorites. (See my previous blog.) There are also at least two breakfast places; we like “Slice of Heaven” which does a very nice breakfast croissant.

McQuade’s supermarket is almost halfway across the island but the actual distance is less than half a mile. If you continue to the far side of the island, you come to Dutch Harbor, with great views across the West Passage. It is a pretty walk.

A little ferry provides frequent service between here and Newport. So it is quite feasible to park your boat here in Jamestown and use the ferry to visit Newport. This can be useful in particular if you plan to visit the big boat show in Newport, when transient space in Newport can be hard to find.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb