Hanging Out in Cuttyhunk Pond


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts
August 6th 2013
Published: August 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The weather remains good so we decide to make the run to Cuttyhunk. For us, this is a long trip, 25 miles, which will take us over four hours. Once we are out of Narrangansett Bay via the East Passage, we are effectively in the Altantic with nothing between us and the open ocean until we reach Cuttyhunk. So we pay closer than usual attention to the weather forecast before making this trip. Today, in fact, it turns out to be a georgeous run, with almost flat seas.

Cuttyhunk Pond is a fun place. It is small and completely enclosed, with just one narrow entrance channel. There are 60 rental moorings in the pond and we usually rent one of these. But when we arrive, every mooring is occupied. This is a first-come-first-served place. Fortunately, there is space to the South of the mooring field for about a dozen boats to anchor, provided everyone places their anchor with care. So we find ourself a good spot, drop the anchor and settle in for the afternoon.

Cuttyhunk Pond is a very attractive place to hang out and watch other boats coming and going. And it has one special attraction ... the Raw Bar. The people who run Cuttyhunk maintain clam and oyster ponds on the island. In the early evening, The Raw Bar drives round the harbor visiting any boat that wants to buy very fresh clams and oysters on the half-shell and (cooked) shrimp. We do! So do most of our neighbors. We have saved $45 by dropping the anchor instead of picking up a mooring, so we can afford to splurge ... :-)

The next morning when we haul the anchor, we find that the bottom is a mixture of thick mud and oyster shells. Where did all those shells come from ??? ... :-)

We have now left Rhode Island and are in Massachussets, at the extreme tip of the Elizabeth Islands. These islands stretch South-West from Woods Hole on Cape Cod and form a barrier between Buzzards Bay and Martha’s Vineyard.

This is where we have been for the “next” few days ...
Wednesday to Friday, Aug 7 to 9 - New Bedford Yacht Club, South Dartmouth, MA
Saturday & Sunday, Aug 10 & 11 - Burr Brothers Boats, Marion MA
Monday, Aug 12 - Provincetown Marina, Cape Cod, MA

This blog has three photos. You may need to scroll.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb