Going the Long Way Round


Advertisement
Published: August 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The mechanic from Brewers is working on our battery problem by 9am and has it all solved and fixed by 10:30am. I will not bore you with the details but the core problem turned out to be a corroded fuse-holder. Our batteries are in fact fine. The problems were in the charging set-up and the instruments that were lying to us as a result of the bad fuse-holder ... :-)

We decide that we do not want to make a third trip along the Sakonnet River, pretty though it is. So we decide to go “the long way round” and set sail back under Mount Hope Bridge and down to Jamestown.

The naming in Jamestown is a little confusing. The marina where we stay is called Conanicut Marine. This marina is in the town of Jamestown. Jamestown is on the island of Conanicut. Clear?

Jamestown is one of those places that we refer to as a Perfect Cruising Port. This is because everything that a visiting sailor wants is available in the marina itself or is just a short walk up the street. In the case of Jamestown, this includes the bonus of a “ships store” on the main street (Naragansett Avenue) that is one of the best stocked in these waters.

The marina has a sense of humor. They have three launches, called “Madam”, “Call Girl” and “Escort”. We go ashore in “Madam” and walk up Naragansett Avenue to one of our two favorite restaurants in this town. It used to be called “Trattoria Simpatico” but was sold and remodelled over the winter and has been renamed “Simpatico Jamestown”. It is prettier than ever and we have a wonderful crabmeat salad appetizer, served on a bed of thinly sliced cucumber with a dash of wasabi sauce on top. But the rest of the menu disappoints us a little. Next time we visit, we will probably eat at “Fish” which is directly across the street. “Fish”, like “Simpatico Jamestown”, has a wonderful open-air bar and also boasts a high tech outdoor gas pizza oven.

Conanicut Marine’s enormous mooring field is just South of the Newport Bridge, so we sleep “with the (bridge) lights on” ... :-)

This blog has five photos. You may need to scroll down.

This is where we have been for the “next” few days ...
Tuesday, Aug 6 - Cuttyhunk Pond, MA
Wednesday, Aug 7 to Friday Aug 9 - New Bedford Yacht Club, South Dartmouth, MA
Saturday & Sunday Aug 10 & 11 - Burr Brothers Boats, Marion MA
Monday, Aug 12 - Provincetown Marina, Cape Cod, MA


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb