Greenwood - Brookland - Birthday - Leaves


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania
August 25th 2016
Published: August 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Greenwood, NYGreenwood, NYGreenwood, NY

The crowds begin to gather
Calling all Travel Blog followers...it's time to go again. Gather together. We are ready to leave. Please take your seat and buckle up. Lulu is willing to house sit, again.

First destination is Greenwood, NY. We fly over the hills and dales for about 20 miles from our house. They are having their annual community day and we are going. The thought of another chicken barbecue is too tempting. Made it in time to enjoy their parade. Our friend, Roger, rode his big bicycle in it. He had a bright, new hat to wear....very dapper. We also saw our friend, Ginny. We have been friends with she and her husband, Ron, for many years. Ron was one of the nursing instructors when I went to nursing school in Alfred, NY. He was a great teacher. We share a common interest: antiques & collectibles. We would find each other at auctions as well as set up at outdoor antique shows. Even though we aren't active in the business anymore, we still see each other back at some auctions.....determined not to buy anything....just enjoying the social aspect of it. It is not easy....like withdrawal from an addiction to junk. Ron & Ginny
Waiting for the paradeWaiting for the paradeWaiting for the parade

Our friend, Roger, riding his big bicycle
live outside of Greenwood - somewhere. I picture their homestead out on some back, dirt road, surrounded by trees where no one can see it except for owls and other woodland critters. Am I right, Ginny? Ginny was helping Greenwood's Historical Society on this festive day. She's a good person! I wish you could all meet her and Ron.

We were one of the first people to get the delicious chicken barbecue. Smack, lick, yum. Sat inside our car and rapidly devoured it. We were in the right spot to watch the parade, still sitting inside the car. We wandered around a bit in a big parking lot where there were a few set- ups. This is when I came upon the perfect service.....one I needed badly. A local cosmetologist was doing haircuts in the parking lot. I flung myself into her chair. Immediately, she was like Edward Scissorhands.......clipping my straggly hair. Great job....great clips....I can now see without looking through my stringy bangs. The view is clear! The wind blew the cut hair away and the sun dried it completely. You can't have it any better than this! Charge: $12 and well worth it! Besides these festivities, there
Tractor manTractor manTractor man

Firemen and fire trucks
were community yard sales going on. Of course, we had to check them out. Found a couple good buys. Almost bought a really big advertising Pepsi light for $10 (she had been asking $30). Cory decided it was too heavy to haul around.....??? That's where we are in life now, folks. Rats!

Between here and home is a small hamlet called Rexville. A blink of your eye and you are through it. A few years back, someone bought the old store and fixed it up. We had not been in it so decided today was the day. They had a wonderful menu but we had eaten our chicken barbecue. The eating area was one long bar...kind of neat. Obviously, you could get a hot dog here if that was your desire. We'll go back when we are starving.

Last week, we took an upsetting call from our daughter, Kim. She, Jim and 2 other couples were on route to Nashville to continue some of her 50th birthday celebrations. They had received a call from Travis, their son, who had been in a car accident and was in the hospital in West Virginia where he goes to college at
Christmas in AugustChristmas in AugustChristmas in August

Mr. & Mrs. Claus
W.VA. University. Apparently, he had a seizure and crashed his car into a building. Their friends took their car and continued on to Nashville while K&J rented a car and headed to Morgantown, W.VA. Once there, they were able to get a better grasp on everything. Kim was disappointed with their communication or lack of but finally got the facts. They did many various tests on Travis.....nothing exceptional showed. He ended up having a 2nd seizure in the hospital. He had also had one this summer when he ended up with a fractured skull. They have put him on anti seizure meds and will continue to test and monitor him through their neurological clinic. Seizures run in Jim's family so it won't be surprising if they determine that to be the cause and treat him on an on-going basis with medication. Of course, he's fretful that he can't drive for at least 6 months. They sent him home the day following the accident (I find this shocking compared to when I worked in the hospital). He probably would have been kept at least 2 weeks or more. Not nowadays! You're in and you're out before the sun rises again. Travis is doing okay now...sore, but okay. Car is badly smashed and building only had a small area of superficial damage. We are all relieved it wasn't anything more serious. They have had good support and prayers from family and friends. One of those situations you hope that never happens but you find out how strong you are when it does. Stay strong, Travis.

Sunday evening, Lory and family had us down to celebrate our grandson Alan's 25th birthday. Roger and Lani joined us. Lani is Jay's aunt. They babysat the 3 Knapp kids for all the years they needed this service. Lory and Jay and, especially our grandchildren, were so lucky to have them do this. They were so good to the kids and raised them well during all the time they had them. They still are always there for these grown kids when they need them. More fine folks I wish you could meet. We had pizza and many desserts homemade by Lory & Lani. So yummy. I wish Al had a birthday every week....but I still can't believe he's 25 years old already. Where does the time go? Happy Birthday, Al.

A month ago, we took
Outdoor hair salon Outdoor hair salon Outdoor hair salon

Getting my hair cut
you to the Amish carpenter in Pennsylvania who would make two, small, custom made windows for us. Not our Mennonite friend, Nate, who does work for us when we are in Florida. Well, we haven't heard from him. He said they would be ready in 2-3 weeks. So, off we go again. To the hills and vales of Western Pennsylvania. Take the same seat you had before. That seemed to work nicely. Cory and I argued about the best route to take because last time, he took us way out in the boonies and way around the countryside, even asking for directions, before we finally found the farm. This time, I suggested we try a different route....still way out in the boonies with only winding narrow roads. He took my way but argued and carried on the whole time. But, guess what? Yep. Quickly, we saw the Amish farm in the distance and in minutes we were there! Was I right or was I right? Of course, I was. It was very difficult for Cory to admit it. He struggled. No matter, I'm singing my triumph song right now! Weaving around all the black buggies, we made our way to the big building. Just Harley (son) was there. He didn't know anything about them but looked around. We found some windows that looked like them but they were the wrong size! So we left empty handed. Harley would have the Amish man call us. Which he did today. He didn't know what had happened but he assured us the windows would be ready again in 2-3 weeks. But we've heard that before. Like it or lump it. We'll wait it out.

Rather than going right home (my way) and lick our wounds, we decided to cruise around these narrow, winding roads in the Pennsylvania mountains. I had some old snapshots I was trying to deliver to an acquaintance in Brookland, PA. Another, "blink your eye" hamlet. About 35 years ago, a cancer patient and her husband invited my good friend, nurse Gayle, and the lab technician, Cis, to visit them for lunch. I got invited also cause they knew I liked antiques. OMG. They lived in this huge mansion with many interesting outbuildings. They toured us through the house....my eyes and mind were spinning like tops. It was awesome. Their collections were unbelievable. In the beginning of their lives
Yard saleYard saleYard sale

Where we saw the Pepsi light
here, they ran a private boys school at the mansion. They were the teachers and caretakers. The students slept on the 3rd floor. She said a distant Kennedy (relative of JFK) boy attended. They were very notable people and many governmental folks visited. Even "Meet the Millers" from Buffalo TV (a long time ago) were friends and guests of them. They took us through the outbuildings. Again, unbelievable. One was a complete old time mercantile. Another was an authentic, original log cabin. Another held more treasures. We were served little sandwiches and leek soup for lunch. We rode their antique fire engine up the road to a lovely, old Episcopal church. The inside all done in Italian marble. It still is being used. This couple has since died and their son and daughter-in-law now run it as a Bed & Breakfast. The son stopped at our house a few weeks back and bought an old door that Cory was selling cheap. I told him about the photos I had when the 3 of us had visited his parents. Finally, now was the time to get them to him. The wife greeted us and welcomed us in. I remembered the big wrap around porch because we had tea out on it. Once inside the great room, I really didn't remember it. It looked different and it was dark. They liked the photos and thanked us. They seemed anxious to do something else so we left. I would have loved another tour but such is life. Years after we had visited this huge estate, they were robbed. Many expensive pictures were taken as well as @ $150,000 worth of antiques from the mercantile. No one and nothing was ever recovered. A real shame!

Onward we continued our journey to Coudersport, PA. for lunch. We ate at a silver top diner called Fezz's. Great food. We sat in the add-on back section where they have highly decorated walls. Up onto Main St., Coudersport, we passed the huge, dilapidated, old building/house. I've taken many pictures of this place over the years. At one time, it was called Old Hickory (bar). You can goggle that and get all the history about this creepy looking mansion. Better yet, you can buy it! It's for sale now..$65,000. Seems reasonable but you'll have to put some money into fixing it up. We all like fixer uppers, right? Plan on that for this baby!

On the way home, we passed an old abandoned church on a dirt road. The door caught my eye. It had been sealed with a broom. Was it Harry Potter's or just a passing witch? The broom straws are in the wrong direction. They should be placed upward to signal "No visitors!"

We then passed EDD's. It was an old store along the route between Gold, Pa. and Coudersport. They also had a plant nursery there. All of the life it had then is gone now and the one side of Edd's is collapsing onto itself. If you don't take care of something, it just won't last! Good-bye, Edd.

Almost home and the shocker of the day loomed just ahead. Right at the border of Pennsylvania and New York (a mile from our house) our eyes saw dramatic coloring on the roadside bushes and trees. Nooooooo. The leaves were talking to us and you know what they were saying! I told them to shut up but I don't think they are going to listen to me. They tell what is soon to come. How can that be? I loved our summer
Travis's carTravis's carTravis's car

Thank God for seatbelts and airbags
and it can't be leaving us already. Stay, summer, stay. All in unison now, please....together, holler: "stay, summer, stay!" Boy, I hope that works.

Back to where we started. Hope no one got car sick along the way. Some of those Pennsylvania roads/paths can get a bit wavy and rocky. Enjoy the summer while it lasts. Those colorful leaves have shared their message. There's changes happening. Rats.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Happy Birthday, AlanHappy Birthday, Alan
Happy Birthday, Alan

25 years old.
Brookland Bed And Breakfast InnBrookland Bed And Breakfast Inn
Brookland Bed And Breakfast Inn

Called Oak Hall....visited here 35 years ago
Brookland's Episcopal ChurchBrookland's Episcopal Church
Brookland's Episcopal Church

Their cemetery with stone wall
Fezz's DinnerFezz's Dinner
Fezz's Dinner

Busy walls
Old HickoryOld Hickory
Old Hickory

Coudersport, PA.
Abandoned churchAbandoned church
Abandoned church

The broom keeps visitors out
Edd's PlaceEdd's Place
Edd's Place

Going to rot & ruin
Colorful leavesColorful leaves
Colorful leaves

They are talking!


25th August 2016

Where is Greenwood?
You mean I didn't break your camera? As usual, I enjoyed your blog. And, no, we do not live on a dirt road miles from civilization! If you're wandering this way again, look for County Route 62 (Rock Creek Road) and you'll find 2 tri-color collies guarding our fenced in place (to keep the deer and bear from destroying the garden and feeders). You are always welcome!
25th August 2016

Wrong guess
Glad you enjoyed the blog, Ginny.....don't know why I thought you lived far out in boonies but I did. The tri-color collies would really give your place away...none found in the Amazon Jungle.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb