Revolutionary to Civil Wars


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania » York
November 1st 2013
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.9645, -76.7243

On Wednesday we decided to visit the USS New Jersey for a tour. The ship is on the other side of the Delaware River in New Jersey. We found a train that crosses the Ben Franklin bridge and walked the rest of the way to the ship. That thing is gigantic! We had a great time climbing around the ship. We even got to go inside one of the forward turrets with the 16" guns.
One thing I'm glad about is that after seeing all of this history, there is no test!
Our hotel notified us that they would be turning off the power at 9:00 AM the next morning. Kind of interesting. They said that a piece of electrical equipment had to be replaced. For our trouble they gave us bottle of water and a glowstick..
Anyway, we went to the Amtrak station and picked up our car, a Chevy Cruz. Its not bad, has enough room in the trunk for our luggage. We headed out of town toward York, Pa., our next stop. We stopped at Valley Forge to see the National Park there. It was really cool. We spent a couple of hours touring around the encampment and going to the museum. More history.
We drove to our hotel and settled in for the night.
This morning we woke up to pouring rain and howling wind. This was at 6:30AM. We went back to sleep and woke up later to dark clouds and a steady light rain. We went down for breakfast. By the time we were ready to leave for our day it had pretty much stopped raining. We drove over to Gettysburg and the National Park. It had stopped raining and the sun was starting to peek out from behind the clouds. It was very windy, though. We spent about an hour and a half going through the museum and then headed out for a self-guided auto tour of the battlefields. There are so many monuments and statues out in the fields, its unbelievable. We drove around and walked around for hours. We ended up at the cemetery. A trip here during history class in school would have been a very learning experience. We headed back to our room for the night. Tomorrow we head to Washington, DC.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

forward guns on New Jerseyforward guns on New Jersey
forward guns on New Jersey

These guns could fire a 58 lb projectile 23 miles and hit within 50 feet.


2nd November 2013

WOW!!!! An electricians nightmare on a US battleship!??!!?? Where is the world going??Looks like you are having some good weather. I think you missed the drag strip in York, Penn.
5th November 2013

Good lord that's a large gun!!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb