Into Washington, DC


Advertisement
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.8921, -77.0241

We got up Saturday morning and headed to downtown York. We couldn't check in to our Washington hotel until after 3:00PM, so we took a tour of downtown York. There was a nice museum there and some old buildings to see. The Continental Congress moved to York from Philadelphia during the Revolutionary War because of the British invasion of Philadelphia. After looking at York we drove to Washington. It was a cool , cloudy day with light rain during our drive. We checked in, dropped our luggage in our room and drove to Reagan Airport to drop off the car. No more cars for us. We took a taxi back to our hotel. We got a map from the concierge, so we could plan our stay. We went up and unpacked, then had dinner.
Sunday morning we had a quick breakfast and then headed out to walk the Mall. Our hotel is 2 blocks from the Mall down toward the Capitol end. We walked onto the Mall. We could see the Capitol to the right and the Washington monument to the left. It has scaffolding all the way around it up to the top. They are supposed to start taking it down this weekend. We walked over to the White House. We walked all the way around it, taking photos all the way. We saw Lafayette Park on the back side of the White House. We then walked to the Vietnam War Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, the Korean War Memorial and the Martin Luther King Memorial. We were down by the basin by then and headed to the FDR Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial. We walked back to our hotel for a distance of 7.2 miles that day.
This morning we got up, had a quick breakfast and took the metro(subway) over to the Pentagon. We had tour tickets we had to get more than 2 weeks in advance, to pass security. We had an hour tour at the Pentagon. After that we went around the side to the 9-11 Pentagon Memorial. Very sobering. There is a bench for every person who died in the attack. The youngest of the 184 people was just 3 years old. Her entire family died, as they were on the plane that hit the building. We got back on the Metro and went over to Arlington National Cemetery. We saw the Kennedy burial site. We went over to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We sat and watched the soldier march back and forth until the changing of the guard. That was pretty cool. We also got to see a senator and 3 high ranking military command officers put a wreath on the tomb. That was an interesting addition. We headed back to our hotel for a nap and some food. Tomorrow we go to the State Dept. and tour the Diplomatic Reception rooms. These rooms are used for State Dept. ceremonies, signings, and for visiting dignitaries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The next President an first ladyThe next President an first lady
The next President an first lady

Hell, I could do as good a job as the present one


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb