Global Warming


Advertisement
Published: March 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Over the past week two different professors of mine have devoted a good portion of our class to talk about Global Warming. I think the most recent Time Magazine devoted the cover and a huge article talking about how serious Global Warming. One the cover of the magazine was the title "Global Warming: Be Worried. Be Very Worried.". Some people might think that this title is a little extreme, but I cannot agree more with it. The article makes notice to many strange weather changes that are occurring all over the world. For example, Australia has recently been hit with winds over 120 miles and hour, there have been 300 different species of frogs that died, the Yukon has been experiencing forest fire and polar bears have been drowning due to the lack of icebergs. These are only a few “canaries in the mines” which are supposed to be wakeup calls to society that the article mentioned. Scientists believe that if we do not as a world work to seriously lower the amount of fossil fuels that are used up in the atmosphere within the next 10 to 20 years will be the “Tipping Point” and the effects will be irreversible. I know a lot of people think that Global Warming does not actually exist or that it is really not that bad, but the facts are here and are supported by about 90 % of scientists today. It is real and it is a threat.
One thing that Brazil has done in recent years and that the US could easily do too would be to use ethanol instead of gasoline. 80% of cars in Brazil now run on ethanol from burning corn. Ethanol is a renewable resource and is not a fossil fuel, unlike gasoline. I know that this would be a big change but maybe if the Presidents administration would take there minds of oil and start a program to convert our gas stations into ethanol then maybe we can seriously slow down global warming before its too late. Brazil has made the switch, we can too, its not a crazy plan with no backbone.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb