Day FIVE (Sunday) On to Philly


Advertisement
Published: April 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

103 and Amsterdam103 and Amsterdam103 and Amsterdam

On the way out of New York, with luggage in the subway -- a fun task!
A good-bye to NYC and on to the next adventure -- we headed to Penn Station to catch Amtrak to Philadelphia and DC. Everyone had a snooze as the train gently rocked us to sleep.

The baggage checker in the 30th St. Station in Philadelphia was so nice in only charging us $3.00 per person for our luggage (we had a lot to check!) We gave her a can of salmon as a special thank you.

Then there was a different metro to the City Center to visit Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Ben Franklin's home site and Betsy Ross's house. The day was mildly warm and pleasant. And surprisingly the tourist sights were empty! It was interesting to have seen where Washington took his first oath of office, then to see where it all began with the First Continental Congress.

Lunch was a search for Philly Cheese steak. Some of the kids ordered them and had mixed reviews. We lazed on the grass for a little bit and headed back to the train station. Next stop...Union Station in Washington,DC.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Independence HallIndependence Hall
Independence Hall

This is where it all began.
30th St. Station30th St. Station
30th St. Station

Waiting for Amtrak....another photo op!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb