Learning stuff


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.8302, -77.2311

This morning we had a little treat and had a lie in - but then we headed onto Gettysburg where we were directed to park and ride area. This was very busy - worried we had just been directed to a re-enactment or to someones private party we asked a member of staff who informed us that we were in the right place. In fact we had arrived in Gettysburg on the 150 year anniversary of the first day of the battle - good timing or what??

We got on a shuttle bus and headed to the visitor centre and this was a eye opener with people dressed up. We purchased tickets to go into museum, view a film and look at a cyclorama. First was the movie which gave us a brief overview of the battle of Gettysburg. Then was a trip to see the cyclorama which was a circular painting depicting the battle - this was an amazing piece of artwork and really brought the battle to life. We then visited the museum this took us through the build up to the Civil War, the beginning of the War and the through each day of the battle. We then went to a classroom session with the park ranger to give us a deeper insight.

We then felt ready to explore the scenes in person so we purchased an audio tour which took us through 16 points around the town of Gettysburg which were home to the main points in the battle. This was a self guided auto tour and really brought home some of the things we had learned during the day and let us see the battlefields for ourselves. Our last stop was the National Cemetery where we saw the spot in which President Lincoln made his famous Gettysburg Address.

Fair to say we are both now experts and will be preparing slideshows for you all to learn too!

We then set off for a long drive to New York - which for us went relatively smoothly and we arrived at destination in the Bronx in one piece.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb