Day 27 Troutdale, OR to Crescent, OR


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
May 28th 2012
Published: May 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a pretty early start (about 9:15) found our way to US 26 and headed out towards Mt Hood, SE of Portland. Because of the low overcast, we couldn't see it. Went over a low pass (about 4100'😉 and found some snow on the ground. After we got down out of the foothills, the overcast began to lift and Gena hollered for me to look out the side mirror. She pulled off at the first chance and I ran back about a quarter mile to get out of some trees to get a picture of Mt. Hood. Not long after that, we started to get views of Mt. Jefferson off to the west. It is also glacier covered and sticks up over the surrounding terrain. While descending into and then climbing out of the Deshutes River valley, we had great views of the columnar basalt rock formations at the top of the valley walls. There was obviously a LOT of volcanic action in ancient times around here. We stopped at Newberry Volcanic NM which preserves a large area of lava and obsidion flows - - according to the info brochure, the volume of this volcanic activity is over 20 times that of Mt St. Helens - - that really surprised me!! We found a really nice campground south of Crescent, OR. It is really flat, nicely kept and even has a "Critter Corral". Despite being right off the highway, it is pretty quiet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Basalt Columns Basalt Columns
Basalt Columns

Dechutes River valley
Connestoga WagonConnestoga Wagon
Connestoga Wagon

At the High Desert Museum south of Bend, OR
Lava Flow Lava Flow
Lava Flow

with cinder cone in the background.


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 16; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb