Ths is the end~


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Sisters
August 24th 2012
Published: August 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 12 was spent in Sisters, did laundry, recharged ipad, and ate non-dehyradted food! Found place to camp a mile outside of town.

Day13 started out on HWY 242, stopped at Coldwater Spring CG, could not find trailhead. Kept walking until saw sign for Scott Pass TH. Took that road and basically hiked 9 miles uphill until I could no more. Am way out in wilderness, maybe more isolated geographically than ever. Hoping road leads me to instersect trail real soon.

Day 14 Left camp and continued on fire trail road. Unfortunately the road led me back to HWY 242 to Sisters, so ended up looping back. Beautiful views of the three sisters mountain range.

Day 15 a friend in town gave me a lift up to Santiam Pass, where I picked up the trail and hiked just long enought to find a lovely meadow to camp in.

Day 16 turned out to be the longest yet. Got a good start, then it turned out that the whole day was a waterless stretch. I knew I had to make it to Lava Lake CG, as there was water available. Turned out to be an 18 mile day, which was challenging enough, but the last four the trail was over lava rocks, so both feet were unable to find purchase, and the going was real slow. Made it to Lava, almost nauseous with the amount of energy expended. The trail went through vast acreage of surreal, burned out trees, with alpine vistas and butterflies!

Day 17 originally was going to rest today, then that changed to not leaving before noon, which morphed into leaving at 10:30. Only planned on going to a cold spring abpot 8 miles up the trail, but it easn't clearly marked, and ended up hiking a loop up and around Scott Pass-highest elevation gained around 6,200 ft. Arrived back in original location pretty demoralized.

Day 18 decided to head back to Sisters to try and resupply, and maybe get a ride down to Odell lake, if possible. Walked back to town, 15 miles.

Day 19 the one mantra I subscribe to par none is that the only thing permanent is change.The trip is over. My right shoe is starting to fall apart, can't make ot to Lake Odell, and don't have the resources to make it work.All told, hiked 150 miles. Which isn't anywhere near the plan, but achieved some minor victories, all in all.Thank for reading my literary meanderings~

Advertisement



24th August 2012

wow
150 miles?! Man, that's very impressive, especially with blisters and falling apart shoes. Congratulations on your courage, bravery, vulnerability, strength, and stamina. Sounds like an experience of a lifetime... May you be safe May you be happy May you be healthy May you be content May you love yourself completely And with great kindness Just as you are now No matter what happens --Peace, Kathy
29th August 2012

Well 19 days is still a lot longer than a lot of people would have/could have done! Kudos to you!

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb