Seeing the USA in our RV


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Reedsport
July 29th 2011
Published: July 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Proceeding south along the coast the scenery continues to expand the mind as does the strength of the many cyclers we pass going up the hills. There are an equal number of motorcycles here as folks enjoy the outdoor life. Our RV parks are carved out of hillsides and forests, making their internal navigation challenging but the spots occupancy enjoyable. In Florence we “ride the dunes”, enjoying part of the 50 miles of amazing centerpieces of the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area (yes I got the rubber stamp at the U.S. Forest Service office in Reedsport). These dunes are made of “wet” sand, fed by natural springs, which make them hard packed and easy to navigate in off road vehicles and the sand not blowing a lot. We do experience 26 mph wind at our overnight stay next to a casino but the amenities (i.e. pool, fitness center) of the contiguous hotel are available for our use and Mary is letting the machines share their wealth.
Oregon is certainly a state of local eating and drinking. We've enjoyed Mo's Restaurants with great seafood, Tillamook Cheese, and today a side-of-the-road Pancake Mill Restaurant provided the best food for expenditure ratio yet. From the outside you'd never venture in but once inside the folks were friendly and the choices for their Breakfast to Lunch operating hours menu were amazing. The amount of excellent food was also very generous. We've noticed that, outside of McDonalds and Burger King, most of the chain restaurants don't stand a chance here. Did I say there were 76 microbreweries?
The internet has also helped us plan our trip to Medford to allow Freightliner to fix the rig and also find RV sites. We discovered a SMART muster, hosted by the SO (Southern Oregon) SMARTS outside of Eugene next week, via the SMART website, and have made plans to join them. The SO SMART President even steered us to a recommended RV park in his hometown. This land certainly has a lot to offer.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb