Columbia Gorge


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
March 26th 2016
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Columbia River GorgeColumbia River GorgeColumbia River Gorge

Magnificent views.
Geo: 45.5118, -122.676

We were promised good weather so took advantage of it to explore the majestic Columbia Gorge. It runs for 80 miles and is up to 4000 feet in places, gouged out by a succession of cataclysmic floods at the end of the last Ice Age. Think Cheddar Gorge on steroids!

The Columbia River forms the state boundary between Oregon to the south and Washington to the north. Why the Columbia River is not in the District of Columbia and why Columbia University is in New York are matters for Wikipedia. We drove along the Historic Highway past a succession of dramatic waterfalls and spectacular viewpoints.The huge cliffs are made of dark, volcanic basalt, which make for marvellous scenery but must have presented tremendous challenges to the first settlers and to the early roadbuilders.

At Bonneville, we visited a hydroelectric dam which thoughtfully includes a salmon ladder. Very useful for salmon when they have to get things out of top cupboards or clear out the guttering, I imagine. Nearby was a fish hatchery where Alan caused confusion by asking in the café for a white Americano. Maybe it's not pc to call it that or maybe it was his cute English accent but the woman hadn't a clue what he was talking about.

In the early days of the pioneer settlers, the wagons were floater on rafts down the river where it was too difficult to travel over the rugged terrain. There were fearsome rapids to negotiate until some enterprising types constructed a series of locks. By a strange coincidence they seem to have done this at a small town called Cascade Locks which provided our lunch stop. There was a huge range of food being costumed by a range of huge people so we limited ourselves to a bowel (bowl) of tasty salmon chowder - presumably made by the salmon that fell off their ladder....

We drove on to Hood River, which, in the confusing way of naming rings round here, is not a river but a town. A surfing town one hundred miles from the sea. In fact it is a centre for windsurfing as the wind rushing through the gorge is ideal for it. The town has some quaint old buildings and shops selling the mix of surf gear and New Age tat you find in Cornwall.

From here we crossed the river over a rather alarming toll bridge, then drove
Columbia GorgeColumbia GorgeColumbia Gorge

As seen from the Vista House.
back to Portland along the Washington shore, not so attractive but with beautiful views across to the Oregon side.

Apparently Alan says this is meant to be a food blog, as well, so I have to mention that we had dinner at an Italian restaurant in Portland which served a dessert that was too sweet even for me - an 'almond biscotti ice cream sandwich with gelato and caramel sauce'. It made my triple chocolate tartufo pudding seem almost savoury.





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Hind end of a sturgeonHind end of a sturgeon
Hind end of a sturgeon

A zonking great thing.
Bridge of the Gods at Cascade LocksBridge of the Gods at Cascade Locks
Bridge of the Gods at Cascade Locks

It connects Washington state either Oregon.
Columbia RiverColumbia River
Columbia River

As seen from Washington State.
Beacon RockBeacon Rock
Beacon Rock

A very hard bit of rock which was a lava plug.
Spinach SaladSpinach Salad
Spinach Salad

A healthy starter.
Spaghetti with two ballsSpaghetti with two balls
Spaghetti with two balls

A tasty main course.
Monster Biscuit Ice Cream SandwichMonster Biscuit Ice Cream Sandwich
Monster Biscuit Ice Cream Sandwich

Caramel on sugar. Sugar rush special.


27th March 2016

The 'bowel' of salmon chowder was a freudian slip? On second thoughts, no, it must have been deliberate.
27th March 2016

No me puedo creer que hay postres demasiado dulces para Hamish.
27th March 2016

To Lynda: No, the Salmon Chowder was very tasty. It was a question of proof-reading while still jet lag. Mia culpa...
27th March 2016

Etsuko-san e, I know, its hard to believe. But this was covered in a litre of caramel.
16th April 2016

They must be messy eaters.....or devotees of Lady Gaga......"food being costumed by a range of huge people" Thank you Hamish for your entertaining wit, M&D

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb