Are we there yet? day 15 Portland, Or


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
May 1st 2013
Published: May 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We had a nice surprise anniversary gift waiting for us in Portland, OR. Alf and Yuna made hotel room arrangements for us at an unique hotel, the McMenamins Kennedy School. The school thrived from 1916 until 1974-1975 school year. Due to low enrollment and a changing environment, the school was closed. A community minded group reclaimed the school for a hotel, restaurant, and activities. The walls are covered with school memorabilia and related art work. The eclectic use of light fixtures caught our eye. As we arrived on May Day, we got to enjoy the community events at the school. They had an elementary school class dance around the Maypole, face painting for the kids, and live entertainment throughout the day and evening.

We drove into downtown Portland and did a brief walking tour of Pioneer Square and the Waterfront. There was a large protest occurring downtown-we knew we were back in the city environment. We noticed a large police presence, patrolling the city on their bicycles. There is also a very visible homeless population, panhandling on every corner.

Tomorrow we head to Seattle!


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb