Chanterellium Flight # 815


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
October 11th 2008
Published: October 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

NOT a chanterelleNOT a chanterelleNOT a chanterelle

That's some scary fungus!
Petra and Huck and friends took us hunting for chanterelles on the slopes of Mt. Hood. After uncovering serious sylvan booty, the promise of more lured us deep into the woods. We set out solo, maintaining contact with each other intermittently, cooing and cooing back. Unfortunately, our nomadic harmonic orbit didn't track of the path, and thus began our six hour epic adventure in the Mount Hood National Wilderness area. Castaways amidst the ferny goliaths, we wuz lost!!!!! We tried to climb some trees to sight the road (in vain), tried to track the car with compasses (in vain), tried to get Lola the pup to bring us to the car (in vain) and eventually just trudged north for three hours until we hit the Salmon River, vainly. We struggled valiantly along the cliff face, grasping wildly at swordferns and evading the cruel and ruthless and thorny and prodigious devil's club (a sinister cousin of ginseng - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oplopanax_horridus). We followed the serpentine Salmon until we came to precious vestige of our own kind- a deserted hunting camp! From thence, we traced our dear countrymen's woodland wending back to la civilization! Praise Abraxas!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Also not a chanterelle!Also not a chanterelle!
Also not a chanterelle!

But it was 3' across! Serious!
These ARE chanterelle...These ARE chanterelle...
These ARE chanterelle...

hunters, encountering a stand of chanterelles of the white variety.
Approaching DuskApproaching Dusk
Approaching Dusk

We definitely think we're sleeping out here at this point.
Finalement!! Finalement!!
Finalement!!

We make it out alive. with buckets o' mushrooms.


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb