In the Interim


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
September 28th 2008
Published: October 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rockin' OutRockin' OutRockin' Out

My Morning Jacket, throwing it down.

We're Unemployed . . . Now What?!



Here's an update on our post-work, pre-trip reality.

After bidding adieu to our law offices, we settled into what we thought would be a relaxing week or so off from work / stress/ life before departing to Indonesia. Unfortunately, the Universe intervened, striking Jub with a thrown-out back the day after he finished work, and a doozy of a cold that started right when his back began getting better. Laying helpless in the hotel bed, he managed to fit in 10 hours of daytime television ("What Not To Wear," anyone?); 1 hour of stretching exercises; 2 hours of doctors' appointments; and 3 hours of miscellaneous errands each day. Anna, on the other hand, busied herself with fretting over the details of packing for life on the road and made last-minute arrangements for drinking-dates with any number of takers; avoiding the germy, dark hotel room whenever possible. It was grim. (See picture).

The whole situation has led to some serious introspection from Jub, who is convinced that he is being tested by the Big Guy upstairs, and that possibly he has worked himself into a karma-negative position during the past four

All moved outAll moved outAll moved out

My bare office, empty for now
or five years. We are thinking of changing his name to Job. And, since we all know that things like this come in threes, we are taking bets on what malady will be inflicted upon him next. The early line is as follows: broken bone 50:1, sprained ankle 35:1, wound requiring stitches 18:1; severe intestinal trauma 3:1. The over/under is October 9.

Fortunately, we built in a few necessary and enjoyable distractions in the past week---the best being going to see My Morning Jacket play outside at Edgefield, during which MMJ threw it DOWN and we shook our booties. Although Jub fantasized about being the drummer, he concluded that life on the road with a backpack is preferable to life on the road with a drum set and 50 lbs of curly, sweaty hair under strobe lights. Close, but he wins.

"Wheels up" in three days. Health-permitting, Jub will take over the primary blogging responsibilities once we hit the tropics.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

SickypooSickypoo
Sickypoo

Self explanatory
Jub's Last T-Shirt PurchaseJub's Last T-Shirt Purchase
Jub's Last T-Shirt Purchase

Don't ask me what it means.
All of our stuff for 9 mosAll of our stuff for 9 mos
All of our stuff for 9 mos

Getting it into bags may be a problem
All doneAll done
All done

Yep, it fits.


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 28; qc: 127; dbt: 0.0814s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb