From Portland, OR to Sonoma CA by train


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
August 20th 2008
Published: August 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

As soon as the Amtrak Coast Starlight departed Portland's Union Station, we First Class (Sleeper) passengers were treated to a special wine tasting in the Club Car; what a great way to start our trip and meet fellow travellers. Met a group of teachers travelling from Alabama to San Diego, by train the whole way. They had been on the train for four days by then. While sipping and talking our dinner reservations are taken. First seating preferrence to us again--gee beats airline food!
The miles and miles of flat Oregon farmland slipped under the quiet wheels of the train. So many small towns; so different than our island home.
After dinner our beds were turned down and we turned in. In the middle of the night, it was absolutely silent; it woke me up. We were high in the Cascade mountains, on a side track, letting a freight train go by.
At breakfast we were in Sacremento, Davis and finally our stop, Martinez. Our destination was Sonoma. Taking a train is such a civilized way to travel, so realxing and the scenery can't be beat!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0957s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb