Day 5 - Sunriver to Rhododendron


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Gresham
May 13th 2009
Published: May 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


South Central OregonSouth Central OregonSouth Central Oregon

Between Mt. Shasta and Klamath Falls
As I begin the drive to Rhododendron it begins to snow! I am glad I played golf yesterday when it was only cold and windy. Today, it is very, very windy, cold, and it is snowing. The wind is driving the snow in sideways as I drive away from the Sunriver Resort. Thanks to all the miles I put behind me yesterday, I only have to drive a little over 100 miles to the log cabin I have rented on the banks of the Sandy River.

As I drove through Bend, Oregon, I was in need of a hair cut. It was on my “to do” list before I left home but never found time “to do” it. I stopped at a place called Creative Experiences and a very nice lady named Jennifer gave me a quick hair cut. (Jennifer, if you read this I told you I would mention you.)

As I headed north, I drove through an Indian Reservation. My heart became heavy with sadness as I thought about what my forefathers had done to the American Indians. I am so guilt-stricken that I feel compelled to stop and donate some money to help this tribe.
Dodging TrafficDodging TrafficDodging Traffic

To take a photo.

So, I pull into the casino and proceed to do just that. In no time I have given more than I intended to give. Then I hit for over $200 on a nickel slot machine. Do I get up and leave with a smile on my face? No, I am again overwhelmed with grief for the plight of these great people, and keep hitting “repeat bet” until my winnings are almost gone. I did leave with a few dollars in my pocket though.

The casino is built on top of a mountain with beautiful views of the high desert mountains. Apparently, many other people have felt the need to donate money too. I think I saw a sign that said Lewis and Clark had stopped here and had to send a runner back to Washington DC for more money.

As I approach the small town of Government Camp, I begin to see evidence of recent snow. The closer I got, the more snow I saw. It made a beautiful sight as the snow was accumulating in the tall spruce trees that dominate the landscape.

When I got to Government Camp, the snow was 3-4’ deep, but the
Green!Green!Green!

It was nice to see some green added to the landscape.
roads were clear. I didn’t know it then but I was a short five mile drive to the Timberine Lodge on Mt. Hood. I am about 8 miles away from where I will stay for the next three nights.

I stop for gas at the only station in town and for the second time, the first being in Sunriver, I am surprised when someone comes out to pump gas for me at a self-service gas station. The nice gentleman tells me they have gotten 4” of fresh snow. I asked him what the low temperature for the night will be. He told me he wasn’t sure but ran inside to find out. When he came back he told me it was going down to 27 degrees.

The drive to the log cabin was all downhill. The last five miles on a 6% grade. I had no problems and found the cabin right where it was supposed to be. As I said before, it was built in the 1930’s and fully restored to it’s original condition by the owners. The appliances are even vintage age but work properly and add to the experience.

I can walk out the back door onto the deck and the Sandy River is roaring very loudly. It is only about 30 - 40 yards wide but with the rain and snow melt, it is running at a swift pace.

It was pretty cool, so I wasted no time building a nice fire in the stone fireplace. There is no television signal here but they do have a small TV and a good selection of movies to watch. I selected Jeremiah Johnson, perfect pick, huh? I thought so. I sat by the fire and enjoyed watching Robert Redford freeze his rear off.

After the movie I threw another big log on the fire, turned out the lights, and laid on the couch to watch it burn. I pulled the blanket made with the fur of some critter over me, When I woke up, the fire was out. Time to go to bed.

Wayne’s though of the day, “Life isn’t a race. I want to run at the rear of the pack until I reach the end."



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Sandy RiverSandy River
Sandy River

A view from my deck
Sandy RiverSandy River
Sandy River

A view from my deck
The OuthouseThe Outhouse
The Outhouse

Not really, just a storage shed.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb