River Rafting down the Deschutes


Advertisement
Published: July 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Paul and AngiePaul and AngiePaul and Angie

This is what the River Guides call "little dippers." Notice how they barely put their paddles in the water? Or Maybe they were just striking a pose.
Corey and I had a great time this weekend away from planning and packing to enjoy the Deschutes river with some friends. It was a quick trip just two days on the river to cover 70 miles down a river to the mouth of the Deschutes where it emptied into the mighty Columbia River.

The weather in the high desert of Oregon was very hot and dry (which is by the way the best weather for river rafting). Clothes dried quickly and that is a good thing with all the rapids and water fights that occured whilst on the river.

We camped under the stars and enjoyed a massive dinner that's leftovers also served as lunch the following afternoon. We are really glad we came and hope many of the friends we made on the trip will remain in touch.

OK back to studying for the boards for Corey (just 12 days until she will sit for her round of Medical Boards) and back to work for me. We hope you enjoy some of the highlights of our trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Chris on a TahitiChris on a Tahiti
Chris on a Tahiti

These little river kayaks were great fun. they ride much higher on the water so you could go where the big slow rafts could not (ie shallower areas of the river).
Cliff JumpingCliff Jumping
Cliff Jumping

We were busy taking pictures and drinking water duuring this resting spot on the side of the river. But others found time to get back into the river from 20 feet above.
CampingCamping
Camping

The river ran quietly between this nice rock formation and our camp. This camp area is called the Water Tower.
The Phoenix 5000The Phoenix 5000
The Phoenix 5000

This was a non smelly outhouse. In fact it smelled like fresh woodchips...really!
Morning SunriseMorning Sunrise
Morning Sunrise

Nothing like waking up in the desert. The temp came up to 80 degrees as soon as the sun came above this ridge. It was in the 90's by 11 AM.
DeeogeeDeeogee
Deeogee

D.O.G. or Deeogee, never got a spelling for this water loving dog. Really smart dog who would swim from boat to boat.


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb