Enjoying Beautiful Oregon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Cape Perpetua
September 3rd 2007
Published: September 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We decided to stay in Cape Perpetua another day. We found a Honda dealer in Coos Bay - about 73 miles from here - any we really need to get the van serviced. Today being Labor Day we decided to take a holiday. We walked the beach trail at Smelt Beach. The ocean pounds against the rocks here sending spray into the air. There is a blow hole, where the water comes in under the rocks and blows high into the air. There was literally a “glass house” on the beach, at least the side facing the ocean. You could see every room and every ugly piece of modern, yet worn furniture and even the resident in her sweats.

In the afternoon we drove south along 101 and found a beautiful lighthouse at Heceta Head. When we got south of there though, we found sand dunes and flat areas - looks like we lost our high, rocky coast.

We drove up to the overlook of Cape Perpetua just before the fog started coming in. We walked the trail there and looked down on the Devil’s Churn and the steep walkway we had walked the night before. There was also a “Rock Shelter” that was built there by the CCC. On the other side was a beautiful view of Yachats and it’s coast. I got a nice picture of highway 101 as it follows the coast.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Carolyn at Rock ShelterCarolyn at Rock Shelter
Carolyn at Rock Shelter

The Cape Perpetua Overlook Trail
Devil's Churn from the Perpetua OverlookDevil's Churn from the Perpetua Overlook
Devil's Churn from the Perpetua Overlook

If you look to the cliff on the left you will see the steep walk we went down to get to the Devil's Churn.


Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 96; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb