Nike (In greek it means Victory)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Beaverton
April 15th 2014
Published: April 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Since I like the brand Nike and own a lot of pairs, I decided to do a travel blog history on Nike. First of all, Nike is an American cooperation that engages in designs, development, manufacturing, and worldwide marketing by selling footwear, clothing, and accessories. Nike is one of the most valuable brand in the sports business. In fact, you can see soccer players and basketball players wearing Nike! Nike was founded in January 25, 1964 by Phil Knight and Bill Bowerman. Nike was originally founded by University of Oregon with the track athlete Phil Knight and the coach Bill Bowerman. Bowerman tries to find ways to give his athletes ways for competitive advantages. He experiments with re-hydration drinks and running shoes. The two men created their ideas and presented them to manufacturers to work with them, but the businesses rejected their idea as ridiculously non-profitable. Phil Knight then persuades Onitsuka Tiger to be the manufacturer of Nike, and both parties agree to become partners, including Bill Bowerman. Throughout time, the company, and the University of Oregon coaches then spent their time thinking of ways to benefit the footwear and clothing that will help benefit athletes around the world. Soon, they became very successful because many people are buying their products till this day. However, Nike is accused for their sweatshops, treatment of the workers, and their wages. To address this issue, Nike finally decides to create the Fair Labor Association where a non-profitable group establishes a code of conduct, independent monitoring, human rights, and including a minimum work hour. Also, they decided to put money into making the factory safe and clean for people to work in, and also get paid more. As I read more about this article, it made me think that Nike is doing a good job at setting a good example by fixing its sweatshop problems, but can they lower the pricing because it only takes $5.00 to make a pair of shoes, and $180.00 to buy a pair.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb