Oregon Shakespeare Festival


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Ashland
March 4th 2010
Published: March 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It’s the 75th anniversary of the OSF in Ashland. I just got back from seeing three plays this weekend. While Pride and Prejudice was a strong production - it just couldn’t compare to the amazing performance of Hamlet or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I’m writing because if you’ve ever thought you’d like to go - choosing to see either or both of these would make it a trip you won’t regret. We talked about both of them almost the entire 5 hour drive home.

We can also recommend you check for housing on Craigslist. We found a room above an antique store that is literally 2 blocks from the theater. It was a sweet bedroom and bath with some setup for coffee/refrigerator. It is one block from the food co-op (think New Seasons). The location and price ($85/night) can’t be beat. We parked our car and walked everywhere. The only downside is if you want to take a nap during the day because the store owner is 93 years old and all of her transactions are conducted in a very loud voice. An unusual upside is that you can shop at 11 pm and pay the next morning. The daughter who manages the space is charming and full of great information.

As an added bonus - they just released the nine Oregon chefs who made the short list for the prestigious James Beard Foundation Awards, known as the Oscars for the food world. One of them is Charlene Rollins at New Sammy’s Cowboy Bistro in Talent, OR. Talent is 3 miles from Ashland. We ate there Friday night and if you are a foodie you will be in heaven. The experience is everything you would expect from someone who cares greatly about quality flavor and presentation.

Do you know how many iconic quotes originate with Hamlet? And somehow with all of that familiarity the lines had a fresh delivery and new meaning. Great performances pull you into that 'world' and carry you at a sustained pace. In both Hamlet and Cat the audience found themselves blinking at the end and then up for a standing ovation. And Maggie the Cat? Brash confidence and vulnerability all at full power - how do you do that???!?! Ashland is about 5 hours from Portland. Stop for Umpqua ice cream at the Rice Hill (not the Rice Valley) exit.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb