Seeing the USA on our RV


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Shawnee
September 27th 2011
Published: September 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in Shawnee we're guided to our parking by the 2011 National SMART Muster crew and struggled with a malfunctioning anchor/leveler which caused us to park in a relatively flat area and wait until the muster was completed to fix the anchor (with the help of fellow traveler and expert mechanic Larry Eliot who previously aided us on the Alaskan Caravan). The annual muster was well hosted with many activities and tours, more than enough to eat, and wonderful fellowship for all. The Nomads Chapter hosted breakfast and happy hour munchies, living up to their definition: Nomads are wanderers in search of food. We again noted that SMART's main problem is that those eligible (military veterans) aren't aware of the wonderful opportunities of membership. We also saw Oklahoma City's National Historic Memorial to those killed in the '80's terrorist explosion and made up attendance at the Bricktown (a section of OK City) Rotary – an happy hour club with young membership and many activities. We also discovered OKC has the National Banjo Museum and other sights which, it turns out, we'll get to see when we take our rig in to a Tiffin Dealer to get the jack repaired on Monday - a cog wheel broke within the jack and they have to air lift the part in for the repair.
The muster was well organized and a good model for our 2013 effort in Sedalia, MO, which we'll be involved in. We were again reminded of the changing face of America's retail establishments as we see the demise of Shawnee's downtown in deference to shopping malls on I 40 with Walmart as the lead.
Our post muster overnight accommodations suddenly become a full hookup pad at McClain's RV awaiting our repairs.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb