Seeing the USA in our RV


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Millington
October 1st 2011
Published: October 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Patience is a virtue in awaiting RV repairs. While we paid extra to ship over-nite our new jack, they couldn't get us into the bay to install it until Thursday AM. Meanwhile we walked Cappy and saw the magnificent National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, Clydesdale horses at Express Stables in Yukon, OK, made up at a Yukon Rotary Club to hear a local TV Exec, visited the National Banjo Museum, State Capitol and Tap Werks Ale and Cafe emporium featuring 200 + beers on tap. I ended up getting a personal tour of the capitol with a very knowledgeable guide explaining how the building reflects the Indian conflicts and Trail of Tears, the early settlements and the later history of progress including cattle and oil.
If you ever wanted to learn about the banjo the National Museum in Bricktown is where you should go. The display of instruments reminded me of the one of rifles in the Springfield Armory NHS , Massachusetts, lined up by manufacturer and qualities. The golden era of the 20's is returning in a small way as the world discovers this instrument introduced to America by slaves and modernized by manufacturers such as Gibson.
In Arkansas we stopped by the historic Ft Smith to see the court and jail that attempted to tame the Indians and the West. The NPS store was one of the best I've visited and its Passport hospitality desk was, by far, the best I've ever seen with desk, chair and display offering the many opportunities of this hobby. Our next stop, in crossing Bill Clinton's homeland, was Little Rock's Central High School National Historic Site. This is obviously a Black Heritage icon as I was the only Caucasian present. A black school class was visiting and others were looking at the historical aspects of this change agent location. The school is a magnificent building and is still a 9-12 high school. We decided to stay at the Navy's Mid-South Naval Support Activity Fam Camp as it's a familiar resting place right next to the base Commissary. I shopped there for our evening meal as we anchored at this upscale RV site.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb