Oklahoma - Winds, Beef and a Bomb


Advertisement
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Oklahoma City
November 13th 2015
Published: January 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Located in middle America between perhaps the two better-known states of Texas and Kansas is Oklahoma. Unless you’re a American and paid some attention during history class, you most likely don’t know a lot about this part of America. The name is derived from the native Choctaw Indians words “okla” and “humma,” meaning “red people.” The territory gained statehood in 1908 and the re... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Reflection PoolReflection Pool
Reflection Pool

Stunning Memorial
A Steak is not A SteakA Steak is not A Steak
A Steak is not A Steak

At Mickey Mantle's, it is an experience
Order the FiletOrder the Filet
Order the Filet

No regrets
Dave and Merry Dave and Merry
Dave and Merry

Vast Restaurant
Beautiful SkyBeautiful Sky
Beautiful Sky

The Great American Plains
Stockyard's Stockyard's
Stockyard's

Oklahoma City
Capitol BuildingCapitol Building
Capitol Building

Oklahoma City



2nd January 2016

Another chapter closes
When I think of why people live in Tornado Alley, I guess it's because it's there and life goes on regardless. Your sojourn in Oklahoma is over. Now for the State of sinkholes and the springboard to the Caribbean. Another chapter opens. May it be full of good reading...and frequent soaking in the blues.
2nd January 2016

Another chapter closes
Our pioneers headed west and not all of them made it to California. It is good beef raising country, tornadoes aside. As for sinkholes I've got the Dangerous one looking after me and the lure of blue green seas, the Blues and nearby Caribbean was just too much to say no.
2nd January 2016

Oklahoma
It is my favourite musical and is the corn really as high as an elephants eye ?? Thanks for this interesting info about OKC .. I guess that if you are interested in people and places no matter what you will find some great things to write about. And always the food x
2nd January 2016

Oklahoma
You are so right that if you are interested in people and places there is always something good to say. We were pleasantly surprised how much we enjoyed it there. Good people and good food. Thanks for following along.
4th January 2016

....and the wind...
Hi jolly travellers, Mouthwatering and scary all in the same pot! There's another song from the same era that tells us to 'accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative' - but we must also learn from the past and savour the present as you always manage to do! Another great blog and looking forward to the next one. Our best ever steak was shared with the couple who bought our motorhome from us in Wyoming back in 2007. He bred Aberdeen Angus on the ranch and his business was selling semen from the herd - taught me all I shall ever know about marbling!
4th January 2016

Hello David and Janice,
Glad to hear from you again and hope you are enjoying the new year. Marbling is key and in the western United States they take their beef very seriously and take it to new heights. Truly the best beef I've ever eaten was in Oklahoma. You are correct ---accentuate the positive. Happy Travels.
5th January 2016

I have never been....
....in Oklahoma but after reading your story I will put it on my list. Thanks for sharing.... And a happy new year to both of you.
5th January 2016

Never Been
Thanks for reading. Most Americans don't give much thought to the states in the middle. Good people, a simple life and unexpected pleasures. They are proud people and the memorial is extremely well done.
5th January 2016

Fun Read
Thanks for such a fun read about a state I have never visited. I have flown over Oklahoma many times, and it is doubtful that I will ever stop there, so it was fun to read about it. The food though, now that could sway my decision to simply fly over. You know how important good food is.
5th January 2016
Dave and Merry

Love this
Wow, what a great picture of you two. I love it.
5th January 2016
Dave and Merry

Thanks Brendan
It was a great date night.
5th January 2016
Dave and Merry

Love this
Pleasant surprises can be found just about any place. We'll take you on a road trip one day.
6th January 2016

Oklahoma bombing memorial, and Oklahoma City sights
I saw the memorial when I passed through near the end of my big cross-country trip. For some reason, I found it very minimalist and less impressive than many. I wish I had seen it at night, because the pictures look fantastic and much better than daylight. Did you have time for the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum? I found it one of the most impressive sights in the entire state.
6th January 2016

Oklahoma City
We did not go to the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum but will add it to our next road trip. Wish we'd had the time.
8th January 2016
Oklahoma City Memorial

See a tornado would be fascinating
I always find it interesting to read about places I know very little about. Sad that all I knew about Oklahoma before was the terrorist attack. Now I know a little more. To once in my life see a genuine tornado would be fascinating/Ake
8th January 2016
Oklahoma City Memorial

See a tornado
Storm chaser often capture the power of the tornado. They run toward the danger when the rest of us run away. The funnel clouds are amazing. Growing up in the mid-west I've seen small ones. My mother survived a very strong one in 1973 it was a catastrophic experience. Many around her were left dead.
12th January 2016

So you guys live in Sonoma.
That area was on our list last time in the States but alas ....... Looks like we now have to include the TapWerks as well seeing as I'm a fan of a solid stout or 2. Plenty of reasons to return to your neck of the woods. (As long as a particular "bad hair life" guy isn't in charge come November next year).
12th January 2016

We did live in Sonoma but no longer
We move around the country a lot because of our work and stay in each location for several months. We have a beachfront condo in Florida. Hope to meet when you come back to the States.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb