Happy Easter


Advertisement
Published: March 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

I'm guessing most people will read this when the wake up Sunday Morning….good morning and HAPPY EASTER! We are driving into the wee-hours of the morning here in Oklahoma. Headed for New Mexico and plan to spend the better portion of a week there.

A re-cap of the last few days since we have been “off the grid” and in the Louisiana Bayou.

3.28.13. Kisatchie National Forest- No showers, no running water, and free entrance! Most people had to carry their belongings into their camp since parking is off the camp site – however we pilled everything onto the kitchen and wheeled right in! We were excited to set up our awesome new tent (THANKS JACKS!!) and cook lunch. After lunch we took a little walk and explored our surroundings- the water was really gross, and the hiking trail was more like a road! It was nice to relax at camp and enjoy the warm air and our books. Kona seems to be adjusting to this idea of travel and explore just fine!

The Kisatchie Forest is known for its long needle pines and dogwood trees.

3.29.13. Went for a family run in the morning- Kona seems
Thank you JacksThank you JacksThank you Jacks

Such a great wedding gift <3
to be struggling with the heat a bit- Think she'll get a hair cut tomorrow as we roll into New Mexico. Later in the afternoon we went for a hike and then took a shower at a ...random faucet! Have to use your resources when you have them!!! And it actually felt amazing! The pollen is intense down here and the road into camp is 6 miles of gross red dusty sand- the fresh water was refreshing!

As we settled into camp Jo started dinner and I decided to cut some logs and get a fire started. At first we thought our neighbor was being nice offering up some of his pine wood to us. He later introduced himself as AJ and explained the more fires we get going around camp the less likely the wild boars will come around. He said they are becoming a real problem because of all the deer hunters dropping corn in the forest to attract deer- the boars are now feeding off it and becoming a lot bigger and meaner. He showed us a scar on his leg where a “boar hooked him while fishing”. If I wasn't loving that camp site before
Thank you Auntie LisaThank you Auntie LisaThank you Auntie Lisa

I love my new blanket!
I really was anxious to get through the night and move on in the morning!!! We never saw signs of them around, but when a tree fell at night we both sure did jump.

3.30.13. Started raining at camp just as we were finishing up breakfast- perfect time to tear down camp....in the pouring rain! Not fun, but it did make the dusty roads a little less dusty on the way out- saved our trailer and everything inside from a layer of red dust again. In route to New Mexico via Texas/ Oklahoma. Stopped for groceries which has been an interesting task so far- it really makes us feel like “there's no place like home!”. Jo is at the wheel, Kona his trusty co-pilot is sound asleep and I'm signing off for the night (S*) …..with another Happy Easter from the three of us!

(Joani & Logan I hope you are able to find all your eggs tomorrow- I wish I was home to help ;-) Love Kona.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

RefreshingRefreshing
Refreshing

You would have loved it here Jess ;-)
Roadside workoutRoadside workout
Roadside workout

Yup, we're those weird people were staring at as they drove by!!


Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb