Tennesee to Arkansas to Oklahoma


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Oklahoma City
January 4th 2007
Published: January 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Memphis to Hot Springs
Miles and miles of flat fields - hard to know what’s grown around here at this time of year. Did see some cotton fields, muddy rivers, flooded fields, green winter crops… Short squatty silos, few barns, and lots of fields.

Heavy rain for most of the trip today as we head to Hot Springs--boyhood home of Bill Clinton. Lunch at a cute little place called Granny’s Kitchen in the downtown area, across from bathhouse row. It’s foggy and drizzly but clear that we are in a more mountainous area - the edge of a national park where the hot springs originate. While Andy relaxed at our b&b, Jennie partook in the ancient tradition of “taking the waters” (mineral baths) at Buckstaff Baths, the oldest active bathhouse in Hot Springs (since 1912). It was quite an experience, and she came away feeling very refreshed.

We drove thru the Ouachita National Forest on our way back to I-40. The Ozarks lie to the north, and we could just glimpse them as we left Arkansas. We passed through miles of horse country again, cattle, and flat fields as soon as we hit Oklahoma. Our destination today was Oklahoma
INSIDE GRANNY'SINSIDE GRANNY'SINSIDE GRANNY'S

the best thing about traveling at this time of year is the lack of crowds!
City. First stop was the Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum. Some great sculpture, paintings, artifacts, and displays, including a very cool old west town recreation. Nice balance between “white history” and Native American history and culture.

Then on to the Oklahoma City National Memorial. There are huge gates at either end of a reflecting pool, a field of empty chairs to remember those who died, and a wonderfully stately and defiant elm tree that survived the blast. Beautiful does not seem like a word to describe such a place, but there is no question that they did a superb job of creating a sensitive and moving memorial.

We went to an historic area called Bricktown for dinner and then drove another 100 miles west to Elk City. Stayed the night at a motel on historic Route 66. Long day of driving tomorrow and into some snow, so we are not sure exactly where we will end. Our goal is to be in Tucson on Monday.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

JUST ONEJUST ONE
JUST ONE

of many,many horses in this area
REFLECTING POOLREFLECTING POOL
REFLECTING POOL

at the OKC monument
DEFIANT ELM TREEDEFIANT ELM TREE
DEFIANT ELM TREE

at the OKC monument
CHAIRSCHAIRS
CHAIRS

at the OKC momument
ONE ENDONE END
ONE END

at the OKC monument


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb