Mountain Time Out


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Gallup
January 7th 2007
Published: January 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Longest day of driving so far - long, long stretches of straight highway and plains, lots of cattle, some horses, ranches, wind farms and deserted buildings. Just east of Albuquerque we began to see signs of snow and as the altitude changed along came the drifts of snow and lower temperatures. But there was not a cloud in the sky and it was relatively clear sailing to Gallup. The most colorful part of this segment of the trip was the billboards and brief encounters with historic Rt. 66 and then the dramatic change in the landscape as we passed through the Sandia Mts. of ALBQ and into canyonlands, mesas and Indian territory.

We ate lunch in Del’s diner on Rt. 66 in Tucumcari (eastern, NM) and then hit the road til sunset in Gallup (near the Arizona border) - and it was spectacular. Few clouds, but huge expanses of red rock, pink and gold sky and snow topped peaks in the far distance. The train system is alive and well in this part of the country. We lost count of the number of trains paralleling the highway and now in Gallup there is a constant rumble of double decker freight trains across the street. We are staying at the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup for 2 nights - to gather our breath, watch the Patriots, explore a bit of this corner of the state and allow time for some exploration on our way into Tucson. The El Ranch is a glorious old hotel dating back to 1930. It was once known as the “home of the movie stars” because so many stayed here while making films in the area. We are staying in a room once used by Lee Remmick. There are loads of photos in the lobby of stars who stayed here like Humphrey Bogart, Kirk Douglas, Katherine Hepburn and Ronald Reagan. This is also a major hub of Indian trading, although things are pretty quiet on a Sunday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

BILLBOARD COUNTRYBILLBOARD COUNTRY
BILLBOARD COUNTRY

who really can eat that much?
STRAIGHT AHEADSTRAIGHT AHEAD
STRAIGHT AHEAD

is Albuquerque
MORE SNOWMORE SNOW
MORE SNOW

up here than we've seen since Dec. 8 in Manset
CLINECLINE
CLINE

memorabilia
SANDIA MOUNTAINSSANDIA MOUNTAINS
SANDIA MOUNTAINS

approaching Albuquerque
SUN STARTS TO SETSUN STARTS TO SET
SUN STARTS TO SET

headed toward Gallup, NM


7th January 2007

Welcome to our country!
Yee Haw! Now the real fun begins! This is great that you are sharing your world as it changes, and including us.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb