6 days to go and things have picked up!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio
August 4th 2008
Published: August 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we've just finished single parent camp and that went pretty well. It started off pretty bad due to homesickness and general negative feeling overload. Spent most of the first day just wollowing in misery and looking rather angry. Cheered up when my nightwatch buddy threw me fully clothed into the pool tho...funny how things like almost drowning in the shallow end (..due to shock) can cheer u up!

Had my first smore the other day! Ok i kinda lie...i had a smore pop tart at the beginning of camp but trust me that aint the same! Basically...if u dont know what a smore is...its like chocolate and melted marshmallow sandwiched in between 2 crackers/biscuits.
At the same time i was getting my smore...i got asked if i was French...yer...i dont get that either! Apparently i sound french...some of these kids worry me!

The single parents were so nice...they were all mothers and some brough more than one kid. A lot of the kids were returning from Cincinnati camp but were a lot better behaved as they werent homesick or owt and it was the nicer ones any ways. Some of the mums were a bit racist tho refusing to talk to white people...it makes it easier to understand why some kids came to camp with hostility towards a lot of the staff. One of the staff couples remaining is a mixed couple...Jessica (white girl) and Will (black guy) and quite a frw kids and parents did not like that arrangement. Its annoying how much skin colour is an issue...so much is pinned on it...some times i just want to tell people to get over it cos we really cant change it but that wouldnt be helpful at all. The nearest thing to helpful that i can think of is to suggest that we are all brothers and sisters in God despite out appearances and stuff.

The single parents were only here for a weekend tho and went back home yesterday. After 2 hours of cleaning up we went out for a meal and a movie. Went to Applebees which was alright but not amazing and went to see the Mummy which really aint worth the money...so if ur considering it...STOP and see something else :D

Today Band Camp and Teen camp start...yer i kno...2 camps at the same time! Teen camp is pretty small tho and only really has 40 kids coming and a lot of them are returning staff members so that will b cool. Some staff are also coming back to work to get more money so i get to see them! Woop!
Am working in the dinning hall now which im happy about. Got a bit fed up with teaching kids bout Nature and just fancied a change and dinning hall is quite cool. Serve food and clean...with some of my cloest friends here...gud times :D

Things have definitely picked up. After a bit of an honest prayer and some casting of burdens i am now a little ligjhter and have a bit more of a spring in my step. Also really looking 4ward to seeing my family again. Being away from those i love for this long is hard.

Missing everyone and hope ur having a good summer over there!

SHall b seeing u soon!
xxxxxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb