Superhero dress up and RIP to a certain reptile!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio
July 8th 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So as u can see one of the animals died...yes it was bye bye for the Iquana called Issac. I really really hope it wasnt my fault and have been told over and over again by other staff members that it wasnt but im not so convinced. Basically it happened during a girl class i was teaching...it started making funny faces then didnt move. The kids all commented that it looked like it was dead but i didnt want to confirm it right in front of them so just said it was sleeping with its eyes open...sounds silly i kno.
When i managed to check it for myself when the kids had left it was all floppy and limp so yer it was dead. Felt so guilty that i had killed an animal that i cried for bout 20mins till someone came and checked it for me. Not even one week on the job and an animal was already needing to be replaced.
The staff have been trying to persuade me that it was the former nature guys fault as he didnt notify the camp leaders when the heat lamp had broken and the other lamp didnt have enough power to heat it up but i feel as though its because of my lack of experience with that type of animal.
We now have a new Iquana called Isaac Junior and i have sought help with looking after this one so that it has a better chance of getting through the camp session. So far i have found out that it needs running water or else it wont drink so i need to get that sorted and i have found out that it needs more greenery because it likes to hide itself and climb around. The food that it eats are veg from the kitchen like brocali and green beans but they have to be cut up really small as it is only a juvinile iquana. The kitchen cook is the one that told me all this so has offered to prepare its food for me which is really nice of her 😊 at least i dont have to worry bout it choking to death!

There was another departure in the nature lodge this week. The box turtle was released back into the wild as we found out that they do not eat when in captivity...so basically it would be cruel to keep it any longer and watch it starve to death. Think they even mentioned that it was illegal for them to be kept. Woops!
The Crawladads (kinda like little lobsters) also died but i think that is because they were not meant to be kept in fresh water.
Im hoping that nothing will die on me over the next few camps!

This week has been superhero week at camp so i have had to dress up as a superhero for 2 nights...which superhero i hear you cry...Catwoman. I kno i kno...technically catwoman is a vilan in the Batman cartoons but it wasnt my choice! The outfit was basically a tight black lycra suit, a cape (so glad of that because it meant i could cover myself up as much as possible) and a black mask with whiskers drawn on. Personally i felt that the lycra suit was inappropriate for kids as it left pretty much nothing to the imagination but i had to do what i was told! I wasnt the only one to dress up as superheros...we also had superman, superwoman, wonderwoman, storm (X-men), Violet from the Incredibles, Charlies Angels and Batman...oh an the hulk...but that wasnt so much dressing up but stripping down to just trousers and painting himself green.
The kids seemed to love it tho and this is what were are here for...the kids entertainment!

Have got into more of a routine now with my day. I wake up early (like 6:45ish), read my bible for bout 40mins, go and feed Molly (miniture horse), get breakfast, morning discovery, club, nap, programmes, tea, feed all farm animals (and now the iquana), help out setting up evening programme and run it and then either go to bed after getting snacks at round 10:30ish or on nightwatch (checking all cabins have got their kids to bed) when i wont get to bed till 11:45ish.
Having a nap during the day helps me out a bit cos it gets so hot here. Even if its just a lie down it helps out my positivity.

Still havent got anything from my secret angel...in fact i havent received a single thing within or externally post wise. Bit sad cos i send out so much but giving is good 😊

Only issue i have at the moment is a lack of reliability from a certain programme staff member...my night watch buddy...who has left me to do night watch by myself for the past two nights in a row...with him not telling me last night and acting fine about it in the morning. Then he goes and asks if we could do it tonight...so i am doing it 3 times this week so he can feel like he has done it. I kno it sounds petty but he promised me that he wouldnt skip out again when he went to get shampoo and shower gel the time before last and he went and broke the promise, giving me no warning or reason and not even acknowledging that it was an issue or apologising...will defo talk to him bout it cos im not bottling it up and its ok to be mad...i mean he broke a promise...to go and play sports! Shesh...men!

Missing people back at home but am definitely getting more settled now. Am able to interact more with the kids and the councellors...only have a problem with one or two of them but thats life!
Cant wait to see people again but will embrace the time i have left...hopefully 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb