Day 57 - On our way to Toronto


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Vermilion
October 4th 2013
Published: October 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post


Visitors welcome centre in Michigan
This morning we were up at 4.30am to commence our road trip into Michigan. We needed an early start to avoid the morning traffic. This worked well for us even though even at that early time the highways were still busy but as least the road was flowing.

We crossed into Indiana and then Michigan before the sun rose. We pulled into a Welcome Centre to grab a couple of hours sleep before having breakfast and driving on. All the cities have their fall displays of Moms out (back home we call them crysanthanums). They make a super display of colour along the roadside and walkways of cities and towns. You buy the plants in large pots already filled with heaps of blooming flowers - excellent idea for that instant garden look!



We crossed over 3 state borders today - Michigan, Indiana and finally Ohio. Reaching Michigan meant a time change of +1hr. We are now on eastern time. We mostly travelled along the interstate highway with very little time stopping as our goal is to reach Toronto tomorrow evening.

The fall colours are really starting to show now - it's just a pity that we

Moms at the welcome centre
couldn't make stops along the highway to get more photos. Filled up with fuel at Kalamazoo in Michigan - $3.27 per gallon and also had a break at McDonalds for coffee and to use wi-fi.

There is a McDonalds at every exit on the interstate highways - and as much as I hate to admit it - the coffee is always hot, wi fi is fast and the food is always standard - you know what you are going to get. You can sit at a McDonalds for hours and nobody will annoy you to get moving - handy when you are trying to update blogs, pay bills, etc.

Along the highway we saw there were fairgrounds in the town of Coldwater so we decided to take the opportunity to see if they had RV dump stations - and yes we were lucky...dumped the black and grey water and filled with drinking water...always good to have that job done before late in the day.

At the border of Indiana and Ohio the highway becomes a toll turnpike which turns out to be 241 miles long. Along the Ohio Turnpike there are miles of corn farms and lots

Fall colours at the welcome centre
and lots of barns - they are everywhere! Not sure how much the toll is going to cost because we have stopped for the evening at the Vermilion Service Plaza overnight. Geoff estimates the cost is around $9 which not bad for such a long toll road. They have power hook ups for RV's at $20 per night and also a dump station - sounds great to us.

Our current mileage sits at over 6,000 kms - that's a 3 week total since picking up this RV in Vancouver...glad we bought unlimited kms.

Hopefully the next blog will see us in Toronto.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Fall is obvious


Doing the dump


Lake at Waterworks Park in Coldwater


Start of the Ohio Turnpike


Barns along the turnpike


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb