High-speed Touring MD & PA & OH


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Cleveland Area
August 7th 2006
Published: August 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tonight we rest in Ohio, near Kirtland. It was a day of driving ..... about 6 hours. Weather was hot and humid again but the car was cool and comfortable.

And the camera worked today!! After leaving the batteries out of it and letting it cool off overnight, it worked. My theory is that heat and humidity affect the little switch somehow. Anyway, I've got a few pictures again today.

We did visit briefly the Kitland Temple site and also the visitors center. Tomorrow we'll do a little more thorough job.

And tonight we drove about 5 miles north to the edge of the Town of Mentor which is adjacent to Kirtland, and right on Lake Erie. There was a little park there that had been closed since last week when these folks had a downpour of rain and severe flooding here. Folks tell us they had 9" or 22.5 cm of rain in less that 24 hours. It flooded streets and two nearby rivers flooded. It was declared a disaster area. At this small beach/park the yellow tape was still in place discouraging visits to the debri-littered beach. We heard the officials had opened the beach to visits and swimming and some 15 or 20 people were down there. We sat up on the bank on a bench and just enjoyed the cool breeze coming off the water.

This turned out a nice satisfying visit because I took the uke and we just sung a few songs. One curly-topped two-year old with her mom and grandma came by and started dancing. Another teen aunty with a little guy, maybe also two, spent a few minutes and was so happy to spend just a few minutes. All that was just pleasantly rewarding as the sun set to the northwest and we visited and did a few more songs. The mom said this was a little glimpse of perfection in her day (one of those treasured moments) and shook our hands as they left, wishing us well. I took it as not necessarily the singing but just the nice cooling breeze and visiting and general ambience. Anyway, we all enjoyed it together.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0843s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb